Minimum Flock Size for Happy Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by makemineirish, Oct 7, 2012.

1. makemineirish

makemineirish Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I tried to search the forum for this, but any threads that popped up concerned the minimum ORDER that you could place at a hatchery.

I have no city restrictions on the number of chickens that I have, but would like to do a small flock...at least to start with. We'll see if chicken math gets me.

What is the minimum number of individuals necessary for happy chickens? Does this number change with respect to bantam breeds (more specifically, D'Uccle)?

2. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    I have three very happy pullets. Mine are medium and large fowl. They're like the three musketeers - they go everywhere together. It's fun to watch them stick together all the time. They snuggle together. They follow me all over the yard together. They swarm my feet and make me trip over them together. They talk to each other making the cutest noises. Three are fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Three is the lowest number that works well to have normal flock dynamics.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep. 3 is the minimum.

But more is better [​IMG]

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I have a pair of hens together and it has always been just them and they are very happy and healthy. So I would say 2 would be the least.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I started with six pullet chicks in May. Added a cockerel in July. Got three more chicks in Sept. Planning on getting 8-10 chicks in the spring. Chicken math at work here.

7. makemineirish

makemineirish Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Austin, TX
    itsren - Those photos are adorable and will probably keep me motivated if this coop design starts to seem overwhelming.

While it seems that Mahlzeit has had good luck with a pair, the consensus is a trio. I will plan on a bare minimum of three, but think that chicken math is already getting ahold of me. I keep sketching the coop dimensions just a wee bit larger.

8. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks.

Chicken math is finally getting to me, too. I have 5 eggs in an incubator. LOL!

Enjoy building your coop!

9. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    X2 with the above posters, 2 or 3 at a minimum, I have 7 and they still go everywhere as if they can't go away from each other, if one leaves, they all run to that one. it's hard for me to get pics of just one chicken, unless i'm holding them[​IMG] (they are still young)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see? there is always a bunch together! they even follow each other into mischief!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by