Mink: 5, Our Backyard Chickens: 0

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 7heaven, Jul 6, 2010.

1. 7heaven

7heaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2009
    All in one day! Our 10 year old saw a mink down by the creek behind our house a month ago. We thought our chicken run was varmint proof, but alas the mink thought otherwise! All of our layers are dead in one day... [​IMG] We bought a trap tonight and hope we can have our sweet revenge soon.

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I am so sorry to hear this! What a shame. I hope you get the varmint! How many hens did it get?

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck with that! Mink are slickery ones. There used to be a mink farm pretty close to here and when they went out of business, they butchered or sold most of them, but they released the ones that weren't worth taking the pelts plus they used to escape sometimes too and we have an abundance of them. They're sneaky things and can get into all kinds of places you wouldn't think, and they can kill some pretty large animals compared to their body size.

For traps they like fishy smelling things best in my experience... but that may have just been my luck at the time. I think they're pretty opportunistic.

I'm really sorry you lost yours that way.

4. 7heaven

7heaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2009
    The mink got our five laying hens. We brought our three pullets inside the basement in dog kennels for the night. Hopefully we'll trap the critter tonight or tomorrow and the pullets can go back outside once we secure the chicken run & coop. It was a sad day at our house, that's for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by