Mink and Raccoon today!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ray2310, Nov 26, 2010.

1. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Today there was a sick Raccoon and later a Mink in our yard. We are glad we killed the Mink after reading on here about what a threat they are to our girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    They were out during broad daylight? Isn't that unusual? (and scary!)

3. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    is that foam on the minks chin or fur? i know minks have a whitepatch but that picture makes it look more 3d

4. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    wow, mink really are pretty. Too bad they're such tenacious predators! It almost seems like a waste not to skin it....

5. Tracyfeltsmills

Tracyfeltsmills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Good for you, I havent dealt w]them yet, just coons, nasty things they are!

6. CallDuckLover

CallDuckLover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Raccoons are nocturnal. They really aren't usually out during daylight hours. That raccoon in the picture is just sitting there like it isn't scared of humans that isn't normal. I think that it might be sick. Be careful it could attack you for no reason and spread the illness.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  7. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly distemper this time of year! Wrong time of year for rabies according to everthing i know about Rabies!! Got it all from my father years ago

8. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Quote:Don't worry it won't be attacking anything again. Yes I believe it was sick.

I have no idea why the Mink was here. The is a small creek aprox 300yds from our house. I know they live there but this was the first time I saw one at our house.

9. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    It is not legal to take a mink (it's a fur bearer) without actual depredation or a hunting license in your state.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    FeatheredTempest - please review. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5808

It
    is not necessary to post legalities on every single predator thread. It is the OPs responsibility to know what is or isn't legal in their locale. Keeping in mind, that anyone can view BYC threads, as it is a public forum. I would hope those that are posting protected species, are dealing with their situation in a legal manner.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by