1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mink and Weasel RIP. Good dog!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gray Ghost, May 11, 2011.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    In the last two weeks I have killed a mink and a weasel in my yard. The mink was actually in my chicken pen with its mouth on the neck of a chicken, when I killed it.

The weasel was a little more amusing. I looked up from my breakfast table to see my 12 year old Labrador chasing something around the yard. At first I thought it was a squirrel but she wasn't chasing it 100% like she would if it was a squirrel. It was a weasel! It sort of hopped along like Pepe le Pew, at about 3/4 speed. I grabbed the shotgun and by the time I got outside the weasel and Lab were in a nearby meadow. Eventually my Lab flushed the weasel back towards me and I shot the weasel. I have no doubt the weasel was in the yard originally with the intent to eat a chicken, so I don't feel bad about killing it.

This labrador was a duck dog all her life and when I first got chickens a year ago she wanted to fetch them. A couple of months of firm "no, leave it!" and now I feel confident leaving her outside, with chickens, unsupervised.

I have a chicken-guarding, weasel-flushing Labrador!

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    That is awesome! Those minks can cause alot of horrid damage - had one and just killed half my chickens for what it seemed to be as "sport" So i say good job dog!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by