Mink and Weasel RIP. Good dog!

Gray Ghost

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
In the last two weeks I have killed a mink and a weasel in my yard. The mink was actually in my chicken pen with its mouth on the neck of a chicken, when I killed it.

The weasel was a little more amusing. I looked up from my breakfast table to see my 12 year old Labrador chasing something around the yard. At first I thought it was a squirrel but she wasn't chasing it 100% like she would if it was a squirrel. It was a weasel! It sort of hopped along like Pepe le Pew, at about 3/4 speed. I grabbed the shotgun and by the time I got outside the weasel and Lab were in a nearby meadow. Eventually my Lab flushed the weasel back towards me and I shot the weasel. I have no doubt the weasel was in the yard originally with the intent to eat a chicken, so I don't feel bad about killing it.

This labrador was a duck dog all her life and when I first got chickens a year ago she wanted to fetch them. A couple of months of firm "no, leave it!" and now I feel confident leaving her outside, with chickens, unsupervised.

I have a chicken-guarding, weasel-flushing Labrador!

That is awesome! Those minks can cause alot of horrid damage - had one and just killed half my chickens for what it seemed to be as "sport" So i say good job dog!

Back
Top Bottom