MINK ATTACK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mom212, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mom212

mom212 Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    Michigan, US
    Hi. We had a mink attack our chickens and ducks two different times since Sunday night. He killed 2 chickens the first time (in their yard at dusk) and a third was injured after she got stuck in the fence trying to run away. Monday night, he struck again killing our sweet Indian Runner and injuring our male Rouen and Isa Brown. So, they both have neck wounds but I'm sure the hen will heal-hers isn't that bad. The duck however, has something sticking out of his wound-a pale colored tendon perhaps? UGH! Poor guy. There are no poultry vets around and I know this needs to be sewn up so this body part can be INSIDE his skin. Does anyone have procedure to help me through this? Where do I get the needle and stitching ? HOw do I contain him while I do this? Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The mink will keep coming back, so you need to secure the area first, perhaps move the animals to a safe shelter in the meantime.

Could you post over on the duck forum? More duck people there can see this.

Ducks can recover from some awful injuries.

I don't know what part of the world you are in - but the injured birds need to be kept away from flies to avoid fly strike. Storey's Guide recommends clipping the feathers around the edge of the wound so you can see what you are doing and clean it up and treat it more easily. Saline rinses will probably clean things up pretty well - do that a few times a day.

Is the duck eating and drinking?

3. mom212

mom212 Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    Michigan, US
    Seeing your profile picture makes me sad. We lost our Indian Runner in the second mink attack. :( Funny, she was our only one and she never stood up straight-when do they start doing that? Is it a certain age? She was the leader of our two male Pekins. I think they are lost without her. No worry of flies right now-it's 30*F. I have the injured animals in our basement while they're healing. The mink has been killed (thank God! My husband heard a ruckus at midnight and ran out there thinking the mink was in his trap but it was in the coop! ) The remaining animals are all in a very secure 'house' now until their new coop is finished, which will be soon I hope. Hubby went through and was sure to look for all possible entries for a small slinky animal like minks and weasels. We didn't even realize they were in our area and our neighbor has ponds so he hung out there. Where do I find the duck forum?
    Also, I am using a product called Vetercyn gel to heal the area.

4. mom212

mom212 Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    Michigan, US
    Question now regarding my two chicken hens that are injured: Does anyone have experience with survivors of these attacks? These girls don't drink unless use a syringe and put into their mouths. I'm trying to get in a mix of antibiotic water and a homemade pedialyte I made. I'm using Vetercyn gel on their wounds. Any other ideas for the healing process?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  6. mom212

mom212 Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    Michigan, US
    Thank you-I had googled it and found it.
    the duck is healing well and so are the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by