minks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bertunzo, Dec 31, 2016.

1. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    anyone have advice on how to get rid of minks? im new here

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bertunzo [​IMG] Welcome and Happy New Year!

Living in Aus I do not have any experience with Minks but if you search for Minks in the Advanced Search option and/or post on the Predators and Pests Forum I am sure you will get some advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never had a mink problem but that link Teila gave you should help you out.

Thanks for joining us!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I have never had a mink problem, but a great link by @Teila . I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

5. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    thank you

6. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    must be summer there very cold here in wisconsin usa

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yep .. predicted maximum today is 93F [34C] ..I'm melting! lol [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on the "Predator threads," for advice and suggestions of getting rid of your mink problem. Would be great if you could trap them and get some money for the pelts. I imagine that is if your state allows it. They can get through small holes, so best fencing would be 1/2" hardware cloth or even 1/4" but, has to be securely affixed to framework. Also wire underneath your run, and cover on top, and all gapes at gates etc. closed in. Minks and weasels, often like to slaughter entire flocks and may behead or just suck blood from the victims. They are downright nasty.

9. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    ya the heads are allways missing im going to check out traps tried rat traps and the traps disappeared tried poison it was gone but still finding dead ckickens and chickens are laying a lot less eggs too thanks for replying

10. Salsa Chick

Salsa Chick New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Hello from Northwest Louisiana. I am building my coop by altering an old swing set. Following/copying someone's example online. Still unsure of what breed I will get, but I want something very friendly. I will not eat them, even if they stop laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by