minnows for dinner?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by woodward farms, Jan 17, 2008.

1. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    has it been tried

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i had thought of this but never done it. good idea. [​IMG]

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I have found mine eating some of my baby Koi fish. They love the eyeballs, I was not to happy with them about their choice of "snack" but they really enjoyed those Koi fish.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I fed mine goldfish by accident once!! I was empting a bucket. that I had used to hold my goldfish in while I was changing the water in their tank. Of course all the birds were running over to see what I was doing, and somehow two goldfish had escaped my net and remained in the bucket! Well once the birds saw them flopping on the ground they went nuts!! So now once in a while I buy extra feeder fish, just for them![​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    hey that is a good plan I will do that now

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i am not a fish person. what do feeder fish cost?

for minnows, would you go to a fishing area and buy them from someone there?

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:they usually run about 10-15 cents each

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    hmmm wal*mart has tons of little fishy's that would make a nice snack for the girls - might even get them to stop pecking at each other for awhile LOL

and today is payday - so I think I will go shopping for the girls. DH is going to love this [​IMG] he thought buying cat food for chickens was nuts wait till he hears this one LOL

Julie

9. MsMcChick

MsMcChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Also check your local sporting goods store, you can buy them by the 100's if you want, for a nice price [​IMG]

10. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    OMGosh, my chickens totally freak out on minnows... I got some for the ducks one day, oh boy, my chickens were fishing them out of the kiddie pool. [​IMG] They couldn't get enough!! I buy 20 bucks worth every month for mine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by