Minor frostbite? Leave it alone? (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by turbokev, Dec 22, 2010.

1. turbokev

turbokev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    I have 8 hens and 2 are Buff Orps..
    They both got what I think is minor frostbite this last couple days..
    Its been about 10 - 20 degrees at night and none of the other girls have any signs of frostbite.

They are in a pretty well insulated and wind protected coop (which is inside a covered run)

Here's Brownie:

[​IMG]

and here's Jumpy:

[​IMG]

Each one has a tiny spot at the tip of one of thier points.. Brownies is blacker than the pictures make it look..

Should I do anything to treat?

I've got what I think is very good wind protected ventilation but I'm going to add an 18 inch circle cut out (screened)
    to the roof of the coop since the whole thing is covered above that by the run roof..

Outside of Coop:

[​IMG]

Inside the run:

[​IMG]

Thanks, its our first winter with the chickens [​IMG]

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    hello, I live in NH also, welcome

you can put vasaline on their combs to protect them from frostbite also. I just got a tube of utter cream, which has frostbite protection also. I put it on their combs and any bald spots, seems a have a feather plcuker in the group, she is in chicken jail right now, with no chance of parole in the near future

3. Chris Willock

Chris Willock New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    To the newbie in NH. You have a very nice coup. I am also haveing a problem with frostbite that just started the last few days. I am in Northern Alberta and we are in the middle of a vicious cold front where our temps are an average of -30c and colder right now. My birds are in a well insulated coup with a heat lamp but it just cant cut it in these temps. I will be putting a small heater in the coup till spring now. Only way I can think of to protect them. If it gets really cold where your at you may consider this if a heat lamp wont do. Just remember to keep the lamp and heater a safe distance from your beding weather its shavings or straw lol.

4. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    My only Buff Orpington looks to have that too, she seems fine now but I might have to get something for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by