Minor leg injury on pullet...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IttyBiddyRedHen, Dec 26, 2011.

1. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Just a question for those who know stuff. This morning, when we were moving the chicken tractor, on of the pullets legs got caught under the wire. After we set the coop back down, we watched her for a short while. She was favoring one leg, and she has a skinned place on the front of the ankle(?). No blood, just a small piece of skin damage..loosened. She seemed to do better, after the pain settled down. No longer favoring it, and holding it up Should I do anything?..or just watch her? We give them fresh greens from the garden along with their feed and fresh water. She is almost 6 months old.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Probably just watch her, or you could smear a bit of Neosporin on it. Don't use an ointment with a "caine" drug in it (cetacaine, novacaine, benzocaine, etc.)

3. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Thanks a bunch. I realize there will be injuries at times. When the 7 roos all reached sexual maturity at one time, there was blood allover. But the injured ones healed up quickly, once I had them separated.

4. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    If there's no blood, and she seems to be ok on it now, I'd say you're in the clear. [​IMG]

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I just checked on her...2pm. She has picked off the loose skin, walking fine..and the others haven't singled her out as injured. That is good, as I know animals will kill or attack an injured flock member. I will just watch her for any complications.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If it seems to bother her maybe give her a low dose aspirin. I had a girl who hurt her leg and couldn't walk on it so I separated her for about a month. Gradually it got better but she still has a slight limp but gets around ok. She was acting like she was in pain so I gave her the baby (low dose 81mg) aspirin once a day for a few days.

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    She healed up nicely. Another hen wouldn't come back into the coop about 3 weeks ago...and a neighbor dog got hold of her. She wedged herself into a concrete block, and the only injuries were to her fuzzy butt rear end. She got chewed a little, but has healed up nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by