1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minor Toe Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Studio2770, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I noticed our pullet Fiona had a short toe nail yesterday and today it looked like some blood came off of it. I plan to clean it tomorrow but can anyone give me advice on what to patch it up with?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If it's still bleeding at all, you can stop it with cornstarch, styptic powder, or even spider webs. They can really bleed quite a bit. It looks, however, from the picture, that it might have already stopped? It's a good idea to clean it so that the others won't be attracted to the blood. Other than that, it will heal fine and will grow a new nail in no time.

Good luck!

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks! I hope the blood dried and stopped. I saw some blood on her neck yesterday and I assumed it was because she scratched with that foot. Thankfully she hasn't gotten pecked at yet! I'll check to see if she opened the wound again when I let them out and maybe clean it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by