Minorca Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by trifecta, Jan 21, 2017.

1. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Those of you that have raised Minorcas- do you find the pullets can occasionally have larger combs than you would expect?

I purchased 4 sexed Minorca pullets (day olds) from a commercial hatchery. 3 are 3 weeks old and 1 is 4 weeks old. I've noticed in the past week that 2 have much larger, redder combs than the other two- if it was any other breed, I would swear its 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. All the other chicks that I have raised were pretty well obviously split by 4ish weeks of age based on sexing from comb size/color.

I realize that vent sexing is not 100%, but I considered it pretty bad luck to have 50% cockerels from a commercial source. I will likely keep them for another 2 weeks or so before contacting the hatchery for a refund- but I was kind of hoping someone on here would say that with Minorca's large combs that sometimes the pullets are more developed than other breeds (wishful thinking, I know).

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Larger combs in some breeds, such as this, yes, but redder would be the focal point for me in assessing gender -- at 3-4 weeks of age a pullet may have decent size to her comb, but color would not be expected at all.
    Can you post photos of the four birds in question so that we can see what you are seeing? It is really the only way for us to offer definitive opinions on gender for you - as one persons "bright red" is often someone else's "barely blushing".

3. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

So in real life the combs don't look as red as they do in the pictures- the first 2 are obviously pullets, but the last two have combs that are twice the size of the others. My main concern is the obvious disparity but I'll be thrilled if they end up pullets as I definitely don't have space for 2 more roosters.

4. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    [​IMG]

Apparently the last pic didn't load. Suspected rooster #2.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    At four weeks old, the two with larger combs are cockerels.

6. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    That's what I was afraid of. Crappy luck I suppose!

Thank you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    those 2 are cockerels - sorry

8. chickenlover896

chickenlover896 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    Hi, i am looking for a Minorca rooster and a hen. If you know some one in South Carolina please let me know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by