Mint plant question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by FoodFreedomNow, Nov 4, 2016.

1. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

After a failed attempt to grow mint from seed, I purchased a spearmint plant, replanted it into a larger container, and placed it outside in full sun, as the instructions indicated. In the few months it's been outside, I've noticed that its appearance has changed: the leaves have become smaller and it has started to put out more horizontal runners. It doesn't have the full, "bushy" look it originally did.

I'd like to harvest leaves for tea and other uses - is there a way I can encourage it to produce larger leaves? Does it need pruning? If so, how should it be pruned to maximize fuller leaf growth?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    sounds like mine that I forget to water. the others that grow in the vegetable garden and get enough water grow like crazy. they all come from the same plant.

1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They do like their water. And they are seasonal plants. As the season progresses, they put their energy into producing seed, and their new leaves are smaller. They are prolific re-seeders. I'm not sure whether the seeds or the rhizomes are more invasive. But, unchecked, mint can take over an entire garden in 2 years. The best time to harvest it is before it blossoms. The resins are highest right before bloom. But, you can harvest and use it any time, even green.

1 person likes this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

Ah...sounds like I'd better start watering more. Thanks!

5. FoodFreedomNow

Great tips - thanks! I'm definitely going to keep them as container plants.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Keep the pot from having contact with the ground. They'll squirm through the holes in the bottom and take off running!!!

7. FoodFreedomNow

Yikes!! [​IMG] Fortunately, the plant's in a pot with a saucer bottom...we're all safe for now!

8. FoodFreedomNow

Another mint question: has anyone successfully grown mint from seed? I've heard peppermint is very difficult (if not impossible), and the seeds are so tiny, they're tough to work with. I'm thinking cuttings are the way to go...

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have peppermint growing in your garden/pot/yard now, you're gonna have it forever. Best bet is to start from cuttings, or root rhizomes. Personally, I'm a bottom feeder: I wait till stuff at the box stores is marked WAY DOWN, and then buy a single plant. When buying any herb plant, take the time to sniff it. Not all plants of the same variety smell as nice. Some just have a better scent. IMO, that should translate to = better flavor. No, I've never grown it from seed, never seen the need to. But, I imagine it's not so hard to grow from seed. I'm thinking it needs to be stratified before planting. Other members of the mint family reseed readily: lemon balm being one that reseeds well, breeds true, and is not invasive (IMO).

1 person likes this.
  10. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I tried 10 times to grow mint from seeds and only the last time some germinated. it is not the same mint as on picture so it is totally useless for me. I like spearmint and I bought a plant for 2 EUR and divided it in 2. when it becomes invasive I just take some out and throw it to the chickens.

I use it green all year around. it is not a seasonal plant where I live as we have no real winter. I love green tea with a few fresh spearmint leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by