1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Minus 20-30 Degrees? Help please!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Okay, I'm in New Hampshire and right now it's minus -12 where I am. They say it might go down to 20 below, and in "some areas" even -30, which would be record breaking. This is my first winter with the chickens, and I'm so nervous. I just went out to check on them and brought them a milk jug of hot water in case they want to cuddle around it. I do not have a heat lamp out there. I've read so much controversy about them, being fire hazards, getting the chickens natural temperature messed up once it's taken away, etc., so I haven't put one out there (it never gets THIS cold).

So I am just wondering if there is any advice. Trying to set up a heat lamp in this temp and dark would be difficult, if not dangerous as their coop is small. Will they cuddle and be okay? I even considered bringing them in (8 of them) and putting them in my bathroom, but I imagine that would be a DISASTER by morning. Plus, I have a mean Roo who would probably beat the heck out of me.

I know this is not the proper section for this question, but figured at this hour more people might be lingering here. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, they are mostly Bantam Silkies, plus a Bantam Cochin, a large RIR, and a TINY Mille Fleur D'Uccle. I'm most worried about her, since she is so tiny. Maybe I should just bring her in?? I don't know what to do!!

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    There is a thread on here somewhere titled " think its too cold for your chickens? Think again!" Its from soemone in Alaska who keeps their flock outside all the time. It may be of comfort for you to read it and see just what the chickens can handle and what they do to help them out when its super cold.

Sorry I'm not more help, I'm from Ca, so its never so cold I have to worry about my flock freezing, their water gets ice on it a couple times a year, but thats about it.

3. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thank you, I'll search for it now....

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It says its -17 here right now... by my weather bug thingie...
    I dont know what to tell you.... I'm in the same boat...
    If you bring them inside.... be prepared to keep them inside the rest of the winter...cause once you warm them up..its harder for them to go back out into that cold.
    I'm just letting things ride... and hope they keep each other warm enough to survive...

The warm water may be a good idea..but make sure theres no moisture/water on the outside of the jug....cause moisture and this freezing weather= ice and frost bite... Plus when the jug gets cold..they'll have a jug of freezing water they have to be next to... BUT it may help... not sure if thats a good thing to do or not... *sigh*
    a lamp may help... but i'm not sure how your coop is set up. If its a small coop and it heats up enough to make humidity.... then again.... your gonna have frost bite problems... (unless you have good ventilation)
    I know..it sucks.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gosh I hope things are OK for both of you.

Imp

6. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Well, I was assuming that once the jug got cold they would have the sense to stop cuddling it, but that's what I get for assuming.....

I definitely can't have them in the house all winter, not an option! So forget bringing them in.

But even the little one? She's an adult, but very tiny, fits in my hand. I was watching them in the coop window and saw her trying to stuff herself under the Cochins' wing. It just made me so sad.

Just since my first post it's already down to -16 now. It's dropping FAST.

PS: Good luck with yours too, seems we're in the same boat. [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awww.. the poor little one. I'd hate seeing it too... [​IMG]
    Maybe the water will work.... i dont know...
    You can keep trying with that.... just keep changing it out all night...
    Maybe you can take the little one in?? *sigh* I dont know either whats the best thing to do... cause then she'll be going from 70 degrees inside (just guessing), back to freezing temps outside in a few miuntes time... so i think thats harder on them.
    what about a heat light? Can you hook one up?

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:But wouldn't putting a heat lamp in the coop have the same ill effect as bringing the chickens inside? Then tomorrow they'll be shocked if I shut it off.... oh, I don't know. I'm so tempted to bring Millie in (the tiny one), but I don't want to shock her little body with the temp changes back and forth... I just don't know what to do. [​IMG] I don't even know if they're going near the jug of hot water because every time I open the run door they hear me from the coop and move all around alerted by the sound. I guess I should just leave them alone. [​IMG]

9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks Wolfwoman, I've been bouncing back and forth reading that thread. Not getting a real definite on what to do though, opinions seem to vary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by