Minus 3F Degrees What's cookin' on my cast iron woodstove? Breakfast!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MissPrissy, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have been up since just after 4am. It is crazy cold here in Central Virginia. The fires are raging at full tilt and I can't even count the number time I have loaded them this morning.

[​IMG]

My house is toasty warm. My family is in the stages of some still sleeping and some starting to move around.

This is the kind of day where we all will need a good meal to get us going. The animals will need extra attention this morning and I don't want to freeze to death trying to give them the care they need.

I don't plan to waste energy so I am harnessing the power of my little wood stove in the kitchen.

The breakfast menu is rounding itself out nicely.

Pan fried sausages
    Eggs
    Pancakes
    Coffee
    Milk

The kids will have one of several frozen berries with whipped cream on their pancakes.

[​IMG]

Cast Iron is my friend. As long as I can get a fire going we'll eat good!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree...cast iron is our friend. 4 years ago we were without electricity for over a week the first week of January due to an ice storm. If it hadn't been for our faithful wood stove which we heat with all the time anyway, we'd have had to eat a lot of cold sandwiches!!

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    well I dont have a wood stove, wish I did but we will be having pancakes on the electric griddle my mom gave me last year and some left over for older son to make egg sandwiches. Ive been sick for a couple days and he's had to fend for himself so at least he can get himself breakfast for a couple days.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I like to make a challenge out of it during the winter. I test myself and see just what I can do on this little stove. So far I have managed to feed us very well and not burn anything.

Steaks cooked on a screaming hot cast iron pan are the BEST I have ever eaten.

5. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, it's 9 here - we are west of Richmond. I agree this is not normal for VA. I just posted on another thread one of our roos got frost bite. [​IMG]

Breakfast sounds good, on my way over!!!!! [​IMG]

Susan

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Come on over. I just started pouring the pancake batter.

7. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    Quote:YUM....I will be right over....

8. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I wanted a wood stove like that...but my dh said no....he is afraid the grandbabies will get burned...

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Got our wood stove going too. I think I've stocked it up at least once a day since late September. I didn't cook breakfast on it though. I blended up my protein shake and downed it before anyone else was up and moving this morning.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Kids learn fast. I think both of my boys have touched the wood stove- ONCE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by