Mir from Western WA

MirWA

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 2, 2014
Hi - I keep coming to read up and decided I ought to join.

I have three hens (silkie cross) from one friend, two really passive roos (faverelle cross) from another who runs all species of birds together free range without conflict among the various toms and ganders and roosters...and an incubator full of 24 maybes.

I gave up on the boys ever becoming mensch. So... I just accepted a Swedish Flower roo who KNOWS he's a rooster. If this works less well than I expect, I'll put up barriers and run parallel flocks. I WANT the cold hardiness from the SFC!

My property is ravine/forest so I have a wide variety of predators - thus, my coop is Fort Cluck. 3.5' tall cinderblock, rebar, rammed earth with pallets to make it up to 7', a clear panel roof screwed down, netting over all openings and chicken wire across the floor...it's a 7x7 box.

I come from farm stock (Enumclaw) but starting out on my own now that I have health needs for safer meat.

I'm a teacher (disabled), editor, and author.

So...that's me.

Hi :welcome
Glad you joined the flock. Your fort cluck sounds great predator security is so important with chicken keeping. Hope all works well for you with your Swedish flower roo.

Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help and full of great knowledge :frow

Thanks! Oh, and your list? That octagonegg incubator is the one I'm borrowing - and drooling over!

Thanks! Oh, and your list? That octagonegg incubator is the one I'm borrowing - and drooling over!

Great choice for incubating with, the Brinsea incubators are great very reliable and really are a set and leave incubator with little fuss. Love mine and have had good hatches with it.
Good luck with your future incubations.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom