Miracle baby? Stuff hanging out of her, but now okay!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Wow, I've had quite an ordeal with a recently set batch of eggs. Its been a while since I've done any hatching and I'm a bit rusty. Had to do a lot of reading and research to refresh my memory.

I had incubator problems in the beginning, low temps the first few days... etc, etc. Really worried that none of the eggs would hatch at all.

Finally had an egg pip a few days ago. She pipped the wrong end, but she did pip the shell so she could breathe. Not much progress after 18+ hours. Looked as if the membrane was drying out and the chick too big for her shell. I had to give her some help. After all, she may be the only chick I get from this hatch! [​IMG]

I zipped the shell for her and allowed her to push her way out on her own. She pushed and pushed for a few hours and was almost completely free from the shell... Another problem... yolk sac not completely absorbed and some big blood vessels still attached. [​IMG] Worried some more, kept her attached to the yolk sac and tried to keep her from moving around too much. The yolk sac finally disappeared and she detached from the last bit of shell!! Yay! [​IMG]

Nope... some pink bubble hanging out of her bottom, looked like intestines maybe?[​IMG] So disappointed. Decided to cull her. Went to the garage for some starter fluid/ether to sedate her for the culling. No ether in the garage [​IMG] darn, I really don't want to do this! [​IMG] Came back in the house to find that the bubble/intestine/etc had retracted back inside the chick and reduced in size by at least 50%!!! [​IMG]

I decided to give her a chance. This morning the distention is completely gone/absorbed etc. She's up, active, running around, fluffing up and seems really strong! Wow, I'm stunned and relieved. [​IMG] If she makes it, I'm going to have to give her a "miraculous" sounding name! [​IMG]

2. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Now that I have a better look at this baby, whatever was hanging out of her did not come out of her vent. It was below the vent, slightly off center?

It sure looked like a loop of intestine, but its all gone now, retracted inside of her and just a little scab where it had been! She sure is feisty and really wants out of that incubator! She's loud too!

What was that that was protruding from her bottom anyway? Any ideas?

3. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    It was likely unabsorbed yolk. Sometimes their belly button hasn't fully closed when they hatch, and you'll see a string of yellow and red. It's yolk and blood. It's not 'normal' but it is common. I'm glad to know she absorbed it alright!

4. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm so happy she's okay. I really didn't want to have to cull her. She really wants out of that incubator, but she kept getting herself all wet jumping in the dishes with the wet sponges in them!

I took the sponges out, once she's dry (for the third time) I'll put her in the brooder and take baby pictures!

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    She's suddenly getting weaker and weaker. I don't think she's going to make it after all. She sure did put up a good fight though.
    [​IMG]

6. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    aw. poor boo. Have you tried giving her vitamins? If you can, give her some poly-vi-sol (without iron) you can get it at any pharmacy.

7. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I've got some poly-vi-sol and I will give her some, but now she's up and around and active again anyway! This little one is making me crazy!

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awwww how is she dianne? Its so hard to guess without a pic of what it was hanging. so sorry for you bad hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by