Miracle Baby!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cakkleberrylane, Jul 6, 2007.

1. cakkleberrylane

cakkleberrylane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    This little guy shouldn't even be alive!! I noticed an egg yesterday morning with a small hole in it. The mother hen was wild and was not too careful to keep the eggs warm, so I picked up the egg thinking I would take it inside. Immediately, fire ants started streaming out of the hole! There must have been a hundred altogether! I couldn't belive how many came out of that egg! I put my finger over the hole and listenened (didn't want fire ants in my ear) and there was no sound. I was sure it was dead and left it ouside all day. Last night, I thought I would pick away at the shell hoping that there was no chick inside. Well, there was. And it was breathing!!
    I picked off all the shell and left the membrane attached to the chick. I wrapped the chick in a towel and held him for a few hours then put him under a light in my bathroom. Today, he's still doing fine and even ate a little this afternoon!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, great save there!

3. cakkleberrylane

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks! It seems that every 4 or 5 weeks something like this happens. Last time, we were ready to leave on a business trip, then it got delayed one day. We returned home for the night, planning to leave the following morning and during that evening I heard peeping. A hen had been killed and she left a whole nest full of babies by our creek, some still hatching. I brought them in, they were covered in fire ants, but they all survived! When we got home, they were 4 times the size!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy Cow!

Those fire ants sound like nasty little critters! Glad you were around to save all the chickies.

Lori

5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    what are you going to name it??
    lucky! lol

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What a story, the little peep is a survivor! [​IMG]
    Jeesh, fire ants are sure nasty. :mad: Glad you got to her when you did!

7. cakkleberrylane

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    I was thinking of calling him Phoenix II. Rising out of the fire (ants)!

8. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    how bout houdini?

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Glad you did'nt just throw the egg out. Did those nasty fire ants get you? I hate them. Have you tried Amdro fire ant killer? If you could keep your birds out of it and could apply it to the hills it might be worth a try. They carry it down in the hill pretty quickly.

Sure is a cute little guy. I love Phoenix for the name.

10. cakkleberrylane

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    The membrane fell off last night and he started to eat and drink. I didn't have anywhere to put him, so he ended up in a waste paper basket with a light over him. Today, I made a better place for him in a plastic tub and the first thing he did was to make his way to the towel at the side and snuggle in for a sleep. ('[​IMG]', ''); Like all chicks, he first had to wash his feet in the drinking water. I guess that's what makes it taste so great! I've used Amdro, and it's an excellent produt, but we have 2 1/2 acres so it would take so much to treat the land. Easier to just keep the babies and/or mommies in the bathroom.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by