Miracle Baby

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Apr 8, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Just had to share this miracle.

I went downstairs to remove some eggs from my broody hen that were due last Thursday/ Friday and replace them with a couple of chicks. I saw one was smashed and the membrane was very yellow and thought "UGH ROTTEN EGG and the fatty broody smashed it!" (it was definately smashed - not pipped or zipped) I picked it up to get rid of it and guess what???

IT PEEPED AT ME!

This egg that was nearly 6 whole days overdue. I took it upstairs and peeled off the shell since it was obliterated anyway. The chick was hugemongous, somewhat dried and upside down in the shell. I got him out and so far so good - he is under mom and she accepted him no problem.

I can't believe that he went that long overdue (the eggs were all marked, so it wasn't added by another hen later)

She hadn't got up and poo'd in two days - wonder if she knew it was stuck in there and smashed it on purpose to try and get it out?

She does have one chick that hatched three days late and is very protective of it rarely letting it out from under her.

I snuck the other (2) 1 day old chicks under her at the same time as the rescued one - here is hoping she takes them all (so far so good)

2. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Wonderful surprise! Blessings to the little chicks and mama!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Nothing better than a good broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by