Miracle baby

Discussion in 'Quail' started by becky3086, Aug 6, 2009.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    So I had some quail hatch 4-5 days ago and I left the eggs in a few days to make sure they were done hatching and they got left in a few more because I was lazy, lol, and today I took them out and one pepped at me. Opened it up and found a nice, very stuck live quail baby.
    Here he is:
    [​IMG]

He of course is having trouble getting his feet to uncurl but it is a quail and they are pretty resiliant.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awh congrats!!!! take him right now and massage his feet out and he will heal well btu you got to be persistant with it and massage his feet out about 3 times a day until you see improovment. [​IMG] Sometimes they wil cry when you do this as I imagine that the toes are fixed that way and it hurts to unfix them but it does help [​IMG]

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yes, I already did that some and thanks for the advice, I will continue to do it. He did not cry when I did it. I am hoping he will make it but I will be very surprised as well.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:My theory is, if it can hold it's head up on it's own (like yours is doing) it will make it [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Poor baby, glad you didn't toss them earlier!!

ETA: I've also found that keeping them on wire will help straighten out their toes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Well, he didn't make it. I stopped a million times today to dip his beak in the water and straighten his toes, but he died this afternoon.

7. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    So sorry about the baby. I have found from my limited hatching experience that the late hatchers don't do as well.

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    garh!!! noooo i was so sure! [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sorry! [​IMG]

maybe he just went way too long without food and by teh time you got to him it was to late so sad *pouts*

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry you lost the chick, I've never had good luck with late hatchers. Maybe next time (let's hope there isn't a next time) you can give it some vitamins or something? I wonder if that would help? Or some electrolytes, I would think it would also be from the lack of food.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yeah, he pecked a little at the food but not like I had hoped for so I really didn't believe he would live but had to give it a try anyway. At least I got him out of the shell for a day. Oh well, shelley yours aren't quite next, I actually have a batch before yours. I am hoping for some A&M's because the snake (posted on the pest and predators board) got mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: