Miracle Chick (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by denasfarm, Jul 21, 2008.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    We have not been having good luck with hatching this month. Most of the eggs are infertile or quiters. Each hen had 5-7 eggs to start with. Friday night we candled the eggs of the 4 hens (3 silkies and 1 Americauna). Out of all those eggs we candled the Americauna had 5 viable, and 2 silkies had one egg each. One Silkie had been moved to the garage since I ran out of broody room and her egg (actually an Americauna egg) had a horrible crack in it, and I wanted to watch it closer. After candling I decided the garage egg was dead since it was over half full of air and had no signs of life. So I grab Sophie the hen and poke her back in the pen with the silkies. I was in a hurry so I left the egg sitting in the garage in the pen. Sat was insane and busy, Sunday wasnt much better...Today...MONDAY! My son goes in the garage to get dog feed and says did you know theres a chick in the garage? I am thinking one of my month old barred rock chicks has somehow escaped and found the garage. I finish what I am doing and slowly poke my way to the garage to hear faint peeping...from the brooder pen...And there it was all wet and lonely. That poor little egg HATCHED all alone! No hen...NOTHING
    I had my daughter run get Sophie who was thrilled to see her egg had hatched!
    The folks at the feed store couldnt believe it when I told them today so I thought I would share it here. I guess this Alabama heat is good for something! Its 104 again today!

Heres a pic of Sophie and her Miracle Americauna baby!
    [​IMG]

2. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    OMG how cute is that????!!!!!!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Awwww... How wonderful! You'll have to name her Miracle. We have one named that, but it wasn't named under those circumstances! Congrats! [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, GOODNESS! What a miracle, for SURE! [​IMG]

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    An absolute dear one, and obviously meant to live! So glad "Mom" accepted it back happily, too. Wonderful! [​IMG]

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Just had to say 'Welcome' to a fellow Dena. I don't meet many of those!

Dena

7. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Not many of us out there! I have run into two or three in my life but they rarely spell it the same!
    We Denas always seem glad to find each other too!

Heres new pics of miracle chick (newly named Grace)
    Much fluffier now and perking up quickly. You know we have to photogragh it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    So CUTE!!!!!!!!!!! IM GLAD SHE SURRVIVED!!!!

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    AAWWWWWWW!!!!!! (My 7yo DD is beside me looking at the cute little chick and that is what I hear.) [​IMG]

10. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Great timing on your sons part! Grace is absolutely adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by