miracle chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kat1117, Aug 14, 2014.

1. kat1117

kat1117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :)Iam new to raising chickens and I spend lots of time on this site asking questions and figuring out the best ways to care for our small flock. We started this project for our granddaughter so she has been hands on from the start (she is 9). On Sunday night our broody hen whom had been sitting on her first ever eggs for 22 days finally hatched 3 beautiful babies. My granddaughter was just so excited uuntil she noticed the 7 unhatched eggs. We told her we would wait and see what would happen. By Monday morning the hen and chicks had moved off the nest to a new location leaving the other eggs. We gave her until Tuesday evening but she was done with the rest of her eggs so my husband took the nesting box out with the old eggs gave her a clean box for her and her babies, my granddaughter didn't want us to throw the eggs away while she was there so my husband put them in our basement for the night. Our son came and picked up Morgan and we were sitting in the basement for a few minutes and we heard peeping coming from one of the eggs. We didn't know what to do so I flew onto my tablet and started reading on byc. Most said don't try to hatch it or help it out of the shell or just throw it out it probably has something wrong with it. But being a retired paramedic there was no way I was tossing it out . I set up a heat lamp in a small box and started the watch!! It was long and sometimes painful to listen and see nothing happen. Somewhere around 2am I gave up and went to bed. When I got up around 8 I headed to the basement as I opened the door I said please dear lord let there be life and by the grace of god it had just made it out, it was wet and small and exhausted but alive. Today little Grace was put in the nest with mom and her siblings and she slide in under moms wing and all was good. I know they all have a long way to go but she was almost thrown away. Grace is my miracle chick.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad little Grace was given the chance to make it out of the shell. I hope your chicks do well. It sounds like raising chickens is a wonderful experience to share with your granddaughter.

3. heychickiedoo

heychickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Fort Collins, CO
    Aww! I love this story! I hope the little chicks thrive, please keep us updated!

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
  5. meandsummykai

meandsummykai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Southern, Maine
    What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwwww. [​IMG] I'm so glad she made it.

7. kat1117

kat1117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Here is an update on Grace my miracle chick. She is 5 days old and the one on the right.[​IMG]

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Too cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by