Miracle Chicken

NHChickengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Merrimack , NH
Just wanted to share that my RIR that was on Deaths door with a Red Swollen Belly has finally come back and is being acclimated to the cold so she can go back into the coop
[/IMG][/IMG]

Everyone guessed it was probably Acities but I do not know for sure. She could barely walk but she was eating and drinking and always so happy to see me I just couldn't cull her. After posting here and speaking to the local chicken experts they all said it would probably kill her. Although 1 person did tell me maybe she injured herself and it would heal with time. We went on vacation in February after her being in her house for over a month and when we came all the swelling was gone. My son had fed her cat food when her chicken feed ran out and we laced all her water with chicken electro lights so I am not sure if any of this helped her out.. She then went through a huge molt and lost most of her feathers. I thought for sure it was the end. But now she is all feathered up and walking normally again and talking up a storm. See my other posts for more pictures and stories about Kera. Now I Have to figure out a safe way to get her back into the coop. Yesterday was not successful..

Last edited:
Everyone guessed it was probably Acities but I do not know for sure. She could barely walk but she was eating and drinking and always so happy to see me I just couldn't cull her. After posting here and speaking to the local chicken experts they all said it would probably kill her. Although 1 person did tell me maybe she injured herself and it would heal with time. We went on vacation in February after her being in her house for over a month and when we came all the swelling was gone. My son had fed her cat food when her chicken feed ran out and we laced all her water with chicken electro lights so I am not sure if any of this helped her out.. So my other posts for more pictures and stories about Kera. Now I
Have to figure out a safe way to get her back into the coop. Yesterday was not successful..
WOWser....amazing.

Reintegration will take time and patience....which I think you have in spades.

You should link the other threads here in this thread so folks can get the whole story.

Last edited:

I am totally surprised at what I found today. She laid an egg. She is one tough bird

So glad to hear your girl is doing so much better!

Can you put her cage in the henhouse for about a week so the others can see her, and then, add a docile hen to her cage. After a few more days, you can let them both out together. Then it's not the one hen getting all the punishment- the pecking will get split between them.

this is Kera after her first night in the coop. I do like the idea of putting 2 chickens on the other side of the baby gate. Thanks. Now to see who else is docile around her during supervised free time.

Back
Top Bottom