Miracle chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GotChicken?, Sep 8, 2010.

1. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    [​IMG]

These two hatched early this morning. The chipmunky one is a Silkie/OEGB or Ameracauna cross, the black a BR/EE cross. A third BR/EE hatched within the last hour, and a fourth (FCBM/EE) is taking its sweet ole time.

Why are they miracle chicks? Because three days ago (early Sunday morning), a mink got into my main coop and killed 19 of my chickens (I had twenty-nine, the rest were in separate coops). The only survivors are a OEGB roo who flew into a solar light net attached to the rafters, and a Polish bantam who was brooding on these chicks in a ground level nest box. I brought her in the house and put her in a cardboard box; the chipmunk-looking chick's egg got cracked in the process, but the super glue I repaired it with obviously didn't hurt anything. I even set up my incubator just in case the trauma made her abandon the eggs, but it wasn't necessary.

How she managed to escape the mink's attention is beyond me, but I'm ever so grateful that she did.

P.S. The mink was trapped and killed that night.

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Oh no so sorry to hear about the rest of your chickens, how horrible. But so happy those little miracles made it, what a blessing!

3. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    How stressful! So glad that these chicks are alright! Congrats....what a colorful bunch!

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Wow! Those are Miracle chicks! So glad they survived. They are adorable! I'm also sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you took care of that predator.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    WOW!!! That was a mink from hell!!!! I have had weasles take a bird or two but never wipe out a flock. I know the weasles we have here are not the same as a mink but I figure they are pretty close. I'm glad you caught that stinking chicken killer!!!!

Good luck to you and your new chicks!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    So glad to hear you salvaged a few.

I lost 6 hens to a fox a few weeks ago and it feels very bad.

Sandie

7. Orchidsilkie

Orchidsilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Congrats on your new babies! They are just adorable! [​IMG] -cracks keyboard from typing too much- .... Can I use some of that crazy glue?[​IMG]

8. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    We also have some miracle chicks. Not as crazy as your story though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by