Miracle Cure/Recovery - Please Read...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by martinnoah, Aug 27, 2013.

1. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Ok...maybe not miracle but please read anyway....[​IMG]

So, a week ago, I cleaned out my coop and replaced the floor. I clean every three months (bye the by). I threw all the old bedding out the door to be carted away later. My flock consists of four older hens (1 roo) from last year...veterans of a very cold winter...and 12 roos and hens (BCMs) that I hatched this spring. They have all been integrated for three months and no problems there. Anyway, two days after the coop clean, all the BCMs became very sick...crusty eyes, gargly breathing, no appetites, head and tail down. We segregated immediately. Lost two hens immediately and the others couldn't open their eyes or breath well. I am very isolated and didn't have any antibiotics on hand (don't use them anyway)...but I was getting desperate.

This is what I did...

Had some polysporin eye/ear drops in my first aid kit from an ear infection one of my boys had. I thought, "well they are going to die anyway, must try to intervene!"

I applied two drops to each eye of all BCMs, three times per day and have been doing this for four days. ALL of them are back in the general population and all of them have stopped their raspy breathing and other symptoms. I CANNOT believe that this medication pulled them all back. I think there is just enough antibiotic in the meds to help a smaller animal and I think half the trick is getting their eyes cleared up...eyes, ears. throat...

Anyway, not a Vet but I think this really helped and I wanted to pass it along...

Thanks for reading!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad your hens recovered! [​IMG] Your treatment was definitely interesting; I don't think that I would ever have thought of it.

3. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Thanks...desperate times call for desperate measures....maybe it is all a fluke but when in need and all that stuff :)

4. Girl43

Girl43 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Nova Scotia
    That sounds very plausible for sure. I'm going to give it a try. A small bottle of polysporin eye/ear drops is way less expensive than antibiotics. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by