Miracle Grow plant food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nat chickenmama, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Nat chickenmama

Nat chickenmama Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi there, has anyone used the miracle Grow plant food for trees and shrubs with free range chickens? The kind you hook to the hose and spray so it's in liquid form. I feel it will be fine just want to double check. Thanks, Nat

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Hi Nat. I use liquid fertilizer in my yard. IMO, it is preferable to the granular fertilizer that sits on or in the soil and becomes an enticement with all of those colorful granules. I just keep the birds away until the liquid fertilizer has dried, or follow up the application with some plain water to wash it off the vegetation and into the soil a bit.

3. Nat chickenmama

Nat chickenmama Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    Awesome! Thank you! I figured it would be fine, just wanted to make sure if they grabbed any bugs after that they wouldn't be harmed. I would wait till they were in a different area of the yard but they follow me everywhere when I'm outside and by the time they go to bed it's too late. They're very needy and curious when I'm outside. Lol!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You will most likely need to pen them up while you are applying it, or immediately follow it with a water rinse, as they will find the wet foliage and perhaps even the ground to be an enticement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by