Miracle hatching!!! Help!!

L1sa

Songster
Jan 25, 2017
South Australia
I have the most amazing hatching story I’ve ever experienced!

My broody was sitting on 6 eggs, 2 of them hatched no problems, but when I checked the next day she had abandoned the remaining 4 and they were stone cold. One of them was half way hatched but there was no sign of life, and another had pipped but again no sign of life. So I took them out of the coop, but I couldn’t bear to throw them in the bin, so I nestled them on top of a partial compost heap. Well that was 2 days ago, and today I went to look at the eggs again just to be sure and OMG. the egg that had just pipped was peeping!!

So I immediately bought it inside and assisted it out of the shell and am currently warming it up on my lap.

To say I am amazed is an understatement. What a miracle, I don’t understand how it has survived.

But now. What do I do? I don’t have a heat lamp, but I do have the original broody and her 2 chicks.

Do I try to make this one a bit stronger or do I just put it under broody and hope for the best?

It’s getting quite wriggly now on my lap, now it’s warmed up.

Here it is on my lap/heatbag.

I popped it under the original broody at 11pm and checked it twice after that. All seems good. I’m going to bed now, I just hope and pray this little beauty survives.

I’ll update in the morning.

Night all
:fl:bow

Attachments

• BDDA2708-F8D1-4885-9C66-E6ED4DB1EEC9.jpeg
    BDDA2708-F8D1-4885-9C66-E6ED4DB1EEC9.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 13
Here it is on my lap/heatbag.

I popped it under the original broody at 11pm and checked it twice after that. All seems good. I’m going to bed now, I just hope and pray this little beauty survives.

I’ll update in the morning.

Night all
:fl:bow
It may be too late for you to get this message before you go to bed but I would be out with the broody before dawn to monitor her when she starts moving around.

A 2 day gap between the first 2 chicks and this little one is a country mile in terms of development.

I had a single chick that was late hatching but only by about 12 hours and the mother abandoned her too. I took the partially hatched egg in with me and she hatched out on a heating pad with a towel tent over her on my lap. When she was about 75% dry and it was full on dark, I slipped her under her mother with her 7 hatch mates for the night.

When I went out in the morning, the hen was scratching around for the chicks and the late hatcher was just sitting there distress peeping because she was cold. The mother lunged for her to peck her! I blocked her with my hand. Lucky for me it was really cold that day, down in the low 20Fs and the other chicks all decided right then to run under mom to warm up. I slipped the late chick under too and mom didn't object. I had to monitor their interactions for the day. Mom went after the chick 2 more times.

By the next day, the chick had caught up a little and was able to sneak under mom without making so much ado about it.

The chick, named MaeDae because she hatched on May 1 one day later than her hatch mates, is now a gorgeous friendly pullet who lays olive green eggs.

It may be too late for you to get this message before you go to bed but I would be out with the broody before dawn to monitor her when she starts moving around.

A 2 day gap between the first 2 chicks and this little one is a country mile in terms of development.

I had a single chick that was late hatching but only by about 12 hours and the mother abandoned her too. I took the partially hatched egg in with me and she hatched out on a heating pad with a towel tent over her on my lap. When she was about 75% dry and it was full on dark, I slipped her under her mother with her 7 hatch mates for the night.

When I went out in the morning, the hen was scratching around for the chicks and the late hatcher was just sitting there distress peeping because she was cold. The mother lunged for her to peck her! I blocked her with my hand. Lucky for me it was really cold that day, down in the low 20Fs and the other chicks all decided right then to run under mom to warm up. I slipped the late chick under too and mom didn't object. I had to monitor their interactions for the day. Mom went after the chick 2 more times.

By the next day, the chick had caught up a little and was able to sneak under mom without making so much ado about it.

The chick, named MaeDae because she hatched on May 1 one day later than her hatch mates, is now a gorgeous friendly pullet who lays olive green eggs.
Wow! Little MayDae is laying already?!?! I'm so glad she made it.
I totally agree with this post. Keep a very close eye on her.
You could make a MHP with that heating pad you have, and let him build up some strength before you take him out. There's lots of threads on here about it. Just get a box, a square scrap of hardware cloth, and the heating pad. Put straw or a towel or something on the bottom of the box, bend the HC so it is in an arch, but lower in the back where the baby can touch it and higher in the front so he can get cool if he's hot. Then place the heating pad on top of the HC. You can then put the baby in. Put the heating pad on high. If it's an auto shut off pad, make sure you turn it back on as soon as it goes off.

Wow! Little MayDae is laying already?!?! I'm so glad she made it.
I totally agree with this post. Keep a very close eye on her.
You could make a MHP with that heating pad you have, and let him build up some strength before you take him out. There's lots of threads on here about it. Just get a box, a square scrap of hardware cloth, and the heating pad. Put straw or a towel or something on the bottom of the box, bend the HC so it is in an arch, but lower in the back where the baby can touch it and higher in the front so he can get cool if he's hot. Then place the heating pad on top of the HC. You can then put the baby in. Put the heating pad on high. If it's an auto shut off pad, make sure you turn it back on as soon as it goes off.
When you last saw her
IMG_20200501_145045090.jpg
Her right now in the box
IMG_20210102_111704523.jpg

Her egg
IMG_20201231_175143134.jpg

She started laying a little over 2 weeks ago.

When i have eggs that need to still hatch from a broody, i grab the hen, the eggs and her chicks and put her somewhere rather small. Usuallt she goea back onto the eggs to finish the job

Back
Top Bottom