1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miracle Med for Arthritic Dogs: Glucosamine-Chondroitin!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by winniegirl, Dec 19, 2008.

1. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I just wanted to share what worked for my old gal who will be 12 in 3 months. Princess Winnie is a 85 lb Shepherd-Collie mix and has severe arthritis in her hips. A year and a half ago she could hardly make it out the front door, and she only had to go down one step. We have Pergo floors and she had a very hard time getting up, so we put area rugs down everywhere. She was moaning a lot, very sad. I was preparing my kids for her demise, I really was. I remember telling my husband she probably only had a few months left and then we'd have to help her along...[​IMG] We were especially sad since we had just lost our old Chow 2 months earlier.

My wonderful vet gave me prescription strength Glucosamine-Chondroitin to try. I was skeptical since I had just read an article in my nursing journal that showed mixed results for humans. But I am now a convert. THE CHANGE WAS AMAZING!!!! [​IMG]

We have a new dog--and that's an understatement. She no longer goes up a flight of stairs but has no trouble getting up 4 steps or so. She gets up from the floor with a little trouble, but she has much less splaying of her rear legs. And she hardly ever moans anymore!!! She still does a fast trot to the bus stop everyday to meet her kids and the UPS guy. Other pups might not have similar results, but I am convinced that this is the med that helped her. Now if only her cataracts would disappear [​IMG]

I would do commercials for this stuff!![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Over the years I have had similar results with the over-the-counter version. My Dobie is 7 and had a very bad fall that left her really, really hurting. Eventually things healed, but she was never the same. Groaning often, walking very slowly, often unable to make it up the 4 steps to the porch when coming in from the run, etc.

I started her on 1 pill a day and within a month the difference was amazing. She was her happy self once again. She's been on it now for 2 years and is still doing great, even in the wet and rainy weather we have been having lately.

I swear by the stuff!

Rusty

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Would the prescription meds be stronger than the over the counter ones?

I gave my lab the ones from Costco and I didn't really see a big difference. (she's passed now)

Perhaps I should of upped the pills to 2 a day instead of 1. [​IMG]

4. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    Raw chicken feet are one of best and most rich source of glucosamine/chondroitin. 2 feet 3 times a week contains more glucosamine/chondroitin than 15 supplement pills, and it's 100% bioavailable, plus the dogs like them and they are a natural way to help clean teeth. I buy huge bags of them, there cheap.

I'm so happy your girl is feeling better!

5. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I'd found the answer, too, for my 14 yr old golden and 12 y/o goldenxcollie but it interfers w/their breathing or throat somehow. They hawk or hack and can't breathe comfortably with the hawking night and day. It sounds like they have to throw up but never do so I stopped giving it to them and they quit the hawking. I give the 12 y/o an asprin once a day now instead- I figure if old people do that by recommendation of their doctors, then Ozzy can have it, too. So far no problems from that and I think Melsing needs now, too.

Ozzy (male, goldenxcollie)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Melsing (female golden)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    It is a supplement that works great if there are any cells left in the joint that produces synovial fluid if there isn't any or enough it won't work, if there is it is very helpful

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    One of the best things you can do for your pets is to eliminate grains and starches from their diet. No corn, soy, wheat, etc... These all add to joint inflammation.

8. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Yes, and any supplement you get from Costco, Walmart, etc.....well, you get what you pay for, often you get much less than you pay for. I work with health professionals and nutraceuticals (a fancy word for supplements used to help a health challenge.) What I have learned would knock your socks off. Don't believe much of what is advertised.

I agree, the chicken feet are the best source....raw, of course. Next best is a supplement called Pet Health with OPC's and glucosamine. It is the cheapest GOOD supplement on the market. It is made by the company that makes the nutraceuticals that I work as a consultant for the docs, but the people were giving their own supplements to their dogs and asked the company to make one just for dogs. They did.

I have told many people about it, and when they switch, the results are always outstanding and for a fraction of the price of what they got from their vet. Because of the OPC's (super-antioxidants) the product helps much more than the arthritis.....used by the people docs for asthma, allergies, exzema, psoriasis, cardiovascular concerns, auto-immune, add and adhd, etc. And anything with an inflammatory componant.

"Prescription strength"....you are being fed a line, my dear, sorry.

Here is where you can get it, this is the site of a retired couple on a fixed income who can use a dollar or two: www.marketamerica.com/dickandmarge. You will have to login to make a purchase. Midway down the screen you will see a banner with "featured products", look for Pet Health, you may have to click on "view more." The jar has 90 scoops, and to give you an idea, that lasts 3 months for my 30 lb dog. A friend is saving about $35 per month over the "prescription strength" version from her vet. Hope this helps.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's wonderful! My sisters dog is having a horrible time with arthritis now that it is getting so cold. I will have to tell her about this. Is it a liquid or do you crush pills and add them to the food?

10. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Our 10 year old Rottie has problems with his hips, especially in the winter. We've started him on a product called "Buddy Bites" Flex. It has glucosomine and chondroiten in them. Here's a link that describes it:

http://www.majestys.com/dog_prod.php

It has really helped him. We can see a big difference. When we ask him if he wants a cookie, he perks right up and chows them down. So they must taste good. We give him 2 a day. We buy it thru Valley Vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by