Miracle Muscovy Mama........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Suzie, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    At last - here are some pictures of "Pie" and her ducklings!

Pie disappeared some five weeks ago and we thought she had been killed by a predator.... strangely enough she came home three weeks ago for one night and then vanished.... we did think of her last Friday and came to the conclusion that she had probably succumbed to a predator......

Saturday morning she turned up at her "former house" with five ducklings .... amazing - we do not know where her nest was, we have searched intensively but have found no evidence of where she was with her eggs - the amazing thing is that she spent one night away from her eggs and yet she has five babies alive!!! Now what chances are that???

We have five German Shepherd Dogs that explore all of the terrain that she would have nested in and they did not find her nest...how did the eggs develop without her being there to sit on them for at least seven hours????

I love Mother Nature!!!

Suzie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hooray for her return! With babies!!!

What if she wisely chose a nest spot near some stones with a southern exposure, and burrowed in a bit? That might keep the eggs warm enough for several hours. In any case, so glad she is back!

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I've had muscovies nest up in things, like rafters, shevles, etc.

Nice that she came back!

4. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Awww!!! Welcome home, Pie and baby Pies!! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a sweet story Suzie, so glad Pie made it home and brought along her little Pies that she made. They are all beautiful [​IMG]

6. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    How sweet! Glad she made it home with her little ones!

7. Quackers08

Quackers08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Cornwall, England
    Amazing! There was a story on youtube like this. Muscovy was found by some people in their horse stable and she had 20-30 babies! The owner had a surprise when she found out her duck wasnt killed

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Awwww......how wonderful! [​IMG]

9. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Adorable. I had one go missing with 8 babies. She never came back. :( I think a coyote got her. :( Poor skitz. She was a wonderful (And VERY Protective) Mother!! I was herding a baby back by her, and she came after me and kicked her poor baby in the head!! :( SHE knocked it senseless for a moment. Skitz. You are lucky she came back, with those Absolutely, Positively ADORABLE Babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by