Miracle Silkie Chick!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lilchik, May 4, 2009.

1. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    My Silkie hen laid her nest UNDER the barn where I couldn't reach the eggs. Two days ago, the first chick hatched and wandered away from the hen. I found it lying on the cold, wet ground and thought it was dead. When I picked it up the legs were straight back and the body was stiff. I noticed it was barely breathing. I held it under the heat lamp and it started to come around. I brought it in the house and put it in a brooder. Within 1 hour it was walking around, eating, and drinking. Now 2 days later, it appears healthy and you would never know it was almost dead! I am amazed at how resiliant this chick is.
    The chicken coop inside the barn has clean dry bedding, nesting boxes, feeders, waterers, and a heat lamp. I quess the hen though under the barn was a safe place. Once she moves out from under there, I will be blocking it off to keep the hens in the coop.
    The Silkie chick was constantly peeping the first day because he was lonely. I wanted to keep it where I could watch it closely, so didn't want to put it back with Mom. Since I can't get to the hen to steal another chick to keep it company, I went to tractor supply and bought 10 RIR chicks. Soon as I put the other chicks in with it, the Silkie was one happy chick.
    [​IMG]

2. Raina

Raina Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Walsall - UK
    Awww cute,

bet your'e glad you found him/her just in time

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    That is an awesome story- and you sound like me, buy chicks to keep another company!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Love that you bought TEN chicks to keep a single chick company. [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats sweet! I'm so happy he made it, cute chicks you have.

6. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    So amazing. Good thing you were there to find your chick! I love happy stories... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by