Miracles of all miracles: my broody hen hatched a baby

1WildHairL8tr

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 6, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
And they are both precious -- Mamma and baby.

This is her second clutch. The first clutch was a disaster -- only one developed but didn't survive the hatch. Last time, I messed with the eggs way too much. I candled them every few days. I moved the nest and Mamma to a new coop, much to her dismay, which caused so much stress on her. She wouldn't nest in the new coop.

This time, I candled them only once 6 days ago and really only saw 3 that looked like they were where they should be. BUT being a novice, I just put them all back and thought I would learn from previous mistakes and leave it up to God, Mama and mother nature. I also left her where she wanted to nest. I am going to have to make some other arrangements though. I still have that other coop -- I will probably move her with her babies over there when the hatch is complete. They will still have total access, there's just more room in the brooder than that nesting box!

I thought tomorrow was the hatch date, but it's been hot here, so maybe that's why baby hatched a little early?

Here are Mamma and baby:
DSCI0022.jpg

Thanks, MissPrissy!
wee.gif
:weee:weee:weee

My DH just got home and he was able to take down one side wall of the nesting box. So now there's double the amount of room (which is still not much) and I was able to put a waterer and a feeder in that area.

She still has a ton of eggs under her -- I'm tempted to move her to see if there's other pipping going on. I need a rope to tie up my hands!!!!

Like I said, tomorrow is 21 days. I really thought it would be more like Sunday because I put them under Mamma late in the evening. Who knows? It's out of my hands!!
idunno.gif

My favorite pictures are of broodies and their chicks. Thanks for sharing.

I hope she hatches some more for you.

Back
Top Bottom