Mirror in the coop as a toy...Good idea or bad?

ninabeast

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Upstate New York
My 8 week old chicks have been in their new coop for 3 weeks now. The run is still under construction, so they're in there all day, which is fine; there's plenty of room and they seem very happy to have a window on the outside world.

Question: are chickens like other caged birds in that they will entertain themselves with a mirror? My chicks are fascinated with the reflective back of my cell phone (Buffy, in particular, never misses the opportunity for a close up), and I thought our old full length mirror, on its side, might entertain them. But then I thought it might freak them out and agitate them.

Anyone ever given their chickens a large mirror as a toy?

I had a smallish (maybe 8x10") unbreakable mirror in one of the sussex pens for a couple years (it is probably still there buried under the bedding after falling off the wall, LOL). It entertained them for about nine seconds and then they showed no more interest in it.

But if you can scavenge an old mirror somewhere, may as well try and see what YOUR chickens think
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

we have a huge mirror in our garage and our hens never miss a chance to strut their stuff in front of it! One hen doesn't like to leave the mirror and starts a fuss when we chase her out to close up the doors, she even ends up at our back door to stare at herself
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom