Mirror in the coop as a toy...Good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ninabeast, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My 8 week old chicks have been in their new coop for 3 weeks now. The run is still under construction, so they're in there all day, which is fine; there's plenty of room and they seem very happy to have a window on the outside world.

Question: are chickens like other caged birds in that they will entertain themselves with a mirror? My chicks are fascinated with the reflective back of my cell phone (Buffy, in particular, never misses the opportunity for a close up), and I thought our old full length mirror, on its side, might entertain them. But then I thought it might freak them out and agitate them.

Anyone ever given their chickens a large mirror as a toy?

2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    I read somewhere on here that someone put one in the run, and they use it quite often. LOL

3. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have no doubt it would be very entertaining for me! Just want to be sure I'm not creating stress for them...

4. Crazy4mypeeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a smallish (maybe 8x10") unbreakable mirror in one of the sussex pens for a couple years (it is probably still there buried under the bedding after falling off the wall, LOL). It entertained them for about nine seconds and then they showed no more interest in it.

But if you can scavenge an old mirror somewhere, may as well try and see what YOUR chickens think [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    The full length mirror is installed, to much initial interest, especially from the BR. Much pecking and pacing back and forth ensued...

[​IMG]

7. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    My budgies love a mirror in their cage, but that's only because they're pretentious.
    [​IMG]

8. Crazy4mypeeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Quote:LOL, too funny. Hope they enjoy it.

9. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My chickens all loved mirrors. My roo especailly cant get enough of himself (he stares at his reflection in windows). [​IMG]

10. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    we have a huge mirror in our garage and our hens never miss a chance to strut their stuff in front of it! One hen doesn't like to leave the mirror and starts a fuss when we chase her out to close up the doors, she even ends up at our back door to stare at herself [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by