1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ezio, May 5, 2013.

1. Ezio

Ezio Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Do chicken's like mirrors the way parrots and other birds do?

I'm think of ways to make their habitate more enjoyable. They can't be free range due to the number of predators in the area ( feral cats, snakes, raccoons, bobcats, coyotes, stray dogs, hawks).

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can give a dustbath, hang a head of cabbage, throw them some non-poisoned grass clippings or leaves to scratch through in season, and give them alfalfa hay (you can cut to very short 2-3 inch lengths if you are worried about impacted crop, but they LOVE the leaves).

I would only use a mirror for a lonely single chicken if it were me.

Also you can give them a roost to sit on, make a chicken swing for them to swing on, and put a sand pit or dig them a hole- they love holes. Give them shade or pallets to hide under (on blocks), cut them squares of sod and throw it in the run like a pizza.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We buy crickets from the pet store(or bait shop) and put them in the run.

Rake up a big pile of dirt and put scratch or meal worms in it.

We get a shovel full of dirt from in the yard and put in the run. New dirt and bugs. Mine love this.

This is just a few things we do because our chickens can't free range either.

4. Ezio

Ezio Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    How did you make your chicken swing?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. gnocchi18

gnocchi18 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Seattle, Wa
    I gave my chickens a mirror when they moved into their coop because there is not a ton of natural light in there. They do seem to enjoy it, but don't obsess on it. I can tell they spend time with it as it gets a bit dirty. They seem to take turns, my Rhode Island Red and Jersey Giant seem most enamored by it.

7. Hrhchazman

Hrhchazman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    We play some Glen Miller, or Big Bad VooDoo Daddy for our Silkie girls. You should see how those girls swing!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by