Mis-aligned beak?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coop Deville, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    As a result of a raccoon attack four weeks ago, my EE hen's beak is misaligned. The lower beak closes to the left of the upper beak. During her recuperation, she ate starter feed because it's small and easy to peck, and she doesn't seem to have trouble eating layer feed now.

Does anyone else have a chicken with this issue? Any long term effects? Does the condition go away?

P.S. This is one durable chicken. She's survived a dog attack (Lost all tail feathers and looked like an Arauncana for a while), getting a leg caught in a wrought-iron table and suspended upside-down for a day, and now a raccoon strike.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It sounds like she basically has a cross beak or scissors beak because of the attack? She is one tough lucky chicken. There are a lot of threads on keeping cross beak chickens, if it is not too bad they usually do fine. General advice seems to be to make sure they have a deep food dish since bad ones can't pick up things very well and tend to more shovel food, and to keep an eye on the tips and trim them if needed. I've kept mild ones and never did anything different for them except watch for overgrowth. This is a thread from last year that has a lot of cross beaks on it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

3. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm much obliged. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by