Mis-shaped, thin shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cottage Rose, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I have a goose whose eggs never have that shiny smooth coating that eggs have. Her eggs tend to have a chalky feeling surface. Now shes been laying mis-shaped eggs. Not grossly mis-shaped but just not perfect and the shells are quite porous.
    She is very well fed.
    She gets fresh water daily, layer pellets, smaller portions of whole oats, sunflower seeds and grass now to graze on. They have access to free choice oyster shell and grit.
    Anybody know why this happens and how to remedy it?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Um, if your goose were a chicken, you could add apple cider vinegar to her water to improve the way she manages calcium ( 1 Tbso per gal water). Can geese have ACV? [​IMG]

3. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Whats ACV?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

ACV= apple cider vinegar.

5. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Oh gee I thought you meant a disease! [​IMG]
    I wonder if that would hurt their eyes because they stick their whole head in the water.

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

You can give ACV to like, every living thing, dogs, sheep, people are supposed to use it too, so I imagine that a goose would benefit from it.

7. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Ya but what about them getting it in their eyes?

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    You could add it to the water- not give it undiluted, and their eyes should be ok. Maybe one waterer with and one without the vinegar?

Quote:

9. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    My concern was for the diluted ACV.
    IDEA!
    Maybe I could give it to them at night in their stall in a chicken fount so they can't put their eyes in it!

10. TimeMist

TimeMist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    It's only a small amount per gallon. There is no way it will hurt their eyes [​IMG]

My ex-battery hens were laying really thin eggs, and no amount of extra calcium seemed to do the trick. It wasn't till I wormed them that they suddenly started to come right. I'm not sure why but maybe it was because their body wasn't under stress from the worms who knows, but it worked for me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by