Miscellaneous Question Re: Cornish Crosses

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ejcrist, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I ordered my first batch of 30 meat birds (cornish crosses) that are due to be shipped 3/30 for a BBQ we're planning around mid-May or so. My plan is to keep them in two brooders I have, one is 7'X4' and the other is 5'X3' for a total of 43 square feet until they're ready to butcher in 6 weeks. At first I was thinking to build a small coop and run for them but if they'll be ready in 6 weeks as advertised then I think I can get by just using the brooders. I'm new to raising chickens and I'm about 4 weeks into my first laying flock so I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. So do you think I'd be ok to leave them in the brooders till the BBQ or will they be too big and have to go in a coop before they reach 6 weeks since they probably grow a lot faster than laying hens? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're going to need a lot more space.

At 6 weeks, each of those birds will take up almost 2 square feet just standing still. You don't have that much space in your brooders. You'll need a run or tractor or some other housing. Also, in that small a space, the poop could be horrific.

3. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Ok I'm with you. Let me ask you this then, since they'll be under 6 weeks I'm assuming they won't be fully feathered out same like laying hens. That being the case, if I put them in a tractor, small coop, etc., will I have to provide a supplemental heat source? If so I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to make it all work.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They will be feathered out enough by then, so don't be concerned with a heat source. With that many of them you may want to see what you can do about rotating them to fresh ground daily or even twice a day. By 3-4 weeks the amount of manure they produce is incredible.

5. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    When you say they'll be feathered out by then do you mean at around 3-4 weeks so they'll be ok to go outside around that time? If that's the case I should be able to put together a tractor or pen w/small coop by the time the'll be ready to go out around late April.

One other question - I ordered all cockerels on the assumption they'll be a little larger at processing time than pullets. Was that a dumb thing to do or do you think they'll be ok together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by