Miserable in S. Oregon without my birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oregonkat, Jan 15, 2013.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Hi all, I lost my BEAUTIFUL buff orpington rooster, and the following hens, australorp, silver laced, buff orpington and two rhode islands to a miserable ******** fox on Christmas eve. The carnage was unbearable. My own stupid fault for partying and not closing the coop.

Anyway, I need advice about the best way to introduce new chicks to my remaining three hens. I would also like to know where anyone would recommend buying chicks. I am interested in Chantecler for winter layers as my girls had pretty much shut down production in the really cold weather here. Does this breed also happily lay in hot summers? Thanks for any advice. Kat

edited: should have posted this on different forum. Sorry, I'm new at this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all, I know how you feel. [​IMG] I lost all but one hen to a fox attack in July last year. I fell to sleep on the sofa and the next thing I knew, it was midnight and a fox was in the garden. It was horrible. Couldn't sleep and couldn't stop crying!
    Henny, the one that survived despite being bitten, took quite easily to the new chicks i introduced her to. She was on her own for about four days and she seemed to love the new birds and the company they brought with them. I introduced them through a wire divider first, so that they could see each other. The chicks were about 2 months old and Henny was 6 months old.
    My advice is to let them meet through some chicken wire first for a couple of days and then put your hens in with the chicks so that the hens are on the chicks territory. Then monitor the situation. You may have to let fights break out now and again so that they can establish territory and pecking order. Good luck xx

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you so much for responding, I am always intrigued by how attached we become to these creatures. My rooster, Roderick, was a constant source of delight and I miss him very much and so do his remaining girls. I will try the separation trick with some chicks in the spring and hope for the best. Thanks again.

4. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem. [​IMG]
    As well as my beautiful hens and a darling little roo called Bert, I hand raised some chicks and they were out there too... two of them I syringe fed sugared water because I had to assist their hatch. All that time being hands on with them and then to find them all dead was heartbreaking. All that love, care and devotion over in a split second! When I had my new chicks, I didn't really find that I could bond with them, not like I did with the others. But I have now, and they mean just as much to me. They all have different personalities and different ways of doing things and it take time to get to know them. I'm sure your new chicks will ease the pain slightly. I kept a few feathers from my old flock that I found inside the coop, I like to remember them. Sounds weird probably lol but I do miss them. Chickens are intelligent and delightful little creatures. xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by