Misfit Mallards

Misfitmallards

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Ok I am new to all this and started this account because I have a question and cannot seem to find any information on the web. So I live on a lake and my backyard literally has steps down to our boat dock. About 8 months ago I started feeding these two odd looking ducks. I call them my "misfits" because they just don't seem to fit in with the others. They seem to be a cross breed between a mallard and a Peking duck. I have raised ducks since I was little so I was able to tell from coloring, feathers and vocal sounds that they were both definitely males. Since that time these two ducks have pretty much taken up residence in my back yard. They will even go as far as walking into our house if the door is open. They still swim the lake but have become super territorial. Our house is on a small little section of the lake and these two ducks will chase off any other mallard that even comes close to this area. That being said...... I am wondering if this is at all normal? Neither duck is interested in pairing up with a female and from everything that I have read and am accustomed to, they should be at least interested. They also are extremely inseparable, to the point where if one is out of the others sight, they will become very vocal until they find each other. They will literally follow one another everywhere and even sleep right next to each other. It's super cute, but again kind of strange!! So I guess my question is....do male mallards ever pair up with the same sex like this???? I guess it's not a big deal but just would like to know a little more since it seems we have inherited these guys as pets!! Thanks for taking the time to read and appreciate any feedback or knowledge you may have!! :)

They don't pair up with a mate till mating season which isn't for a little while still. Also I read that this time of year, after mating season ends, the males separate to go off together to molt. My house backs up to a birding trail with a creek and a nature refuge. There are tons and tons of ducks (wild and domestic and mixes) and geese here. I have been seeing mamas with babies and separately, groups of males hanging out together. They are doing their boy thing and molting this time of year. They won't pair off with a female until October-November.

Wild ducks do chase others off from their source of food. 6 weeks ago 5 orphaned ducklings came to my house on their own and I started feeding them and watching out for them. It got to where they came to my front door 4 times a day waiting for me to come feed them. I am sure if the door were open they'd come in lol. Now they are around 8 weeks old and they have stopped coming to the front of my house. I think something scared them. One is a rouen and the others are mallards. Anyway, When they were smaller I witnessed a mama duck with a brood of 8 attacking and trying to drown my babies, she is viscous. Now that they are older she still will attack them as will some of her babies. When I go out to feed my ducks I always see other ducks fight over food or chasing others off from their "territory". It's a pretty basic behavior in the wild. The geese do it as well hissing and chasing off others. I am sure that your boys are happy at your house and they are just defending their space and their food supply.

This time of year during a milt their feathers look weird too, especially if they are juvenile and getting their adult feathers in. They may not be a mix, it may just be that they are just getting their adult colors and because they are molting. Watching all the wild ducks every day is so much fun, watching them get adult feathers. You should be able to tell for sure by the end of summer when they are done molting. Congratulations on your ducks that chose you! It's such a happy feeling.

Back
Top Bottom