Misindentification? Help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Xival Knievel, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Xival Knievel

Xival Knievel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Two of my chicks were out of the GSL bin at the feedstore, I now think that one may have been placed in there incorrectly. They also had RIR pullets and NHR straight run come in on the same day, can you identify what breed this chick is? It has a darker red with black rather than the one which is obviously GSL, a lighter red with white. First photo is all 5 chicks supposed to be: 2GSL, 1Welsummer, 1BR, 1BO. 2nd photo is the 2GSL, 3rd is the questionable GSL chick and the Welsummer. They are about 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next are a few photos of the Barred Rock, I am just curious because the barring is so imperfect, is that normal at this age? Is it in fact a barred rock or could it be a different barred type breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The barred one looks like a barred rock. Their color will get better as they get older.

The orpington looks right. At least the color. I can't really see any details of comb and legs.

The Wellsummer could be a Wellsummer. It looks a lot like my brown leghorn pullet I had. But, they kind of look similar when they are little.

The one with white is a gold or red sexlink.

The dark red one looks like my New Hampshire, but it is hard to tell.

Sorry this doesn't help much. Maybe someone else has a better clue!

Shelly

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I can't quite tell from the picks, but the legs on the "barred rock" - are they yellow? Or, are they maybe white or white with a dark wash?

If they are yellow, it is a barred rock pullet. If they are white or white with dark wash, then it could be a Cuckoo Marans pullet. The "barring" in the cuckoo color is not distinct like true "barred" coloring. In both breeds, the pullets/hens have less-distinct barring and are darker overall than the cockerals/roos.

4. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I thought somebody would say that about souffle's leg color- but ugh! I can't decide myself what color they really are! They definitely have a gray wash but the back/base color is like this... yellow/pink/white? IDK. Can anybody tell better from this photo?

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's a barred rock.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I can't really tell from the pic, but it does look a bit like my Marans girls.

here is one of mine a few weeks ago with a good shot of the leg color:

[​IMG]

and here is one from this week:

[​IMG]

Does that look similar?

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That is a Barred Rock for sure. And I don't know what you are expecting out of it, but the barring isn't going to be perfect. It won't be exactly like zebra stripes or something similar. Especially since most Feedstore/TSC chicks come from hatcheries.

8. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I'm not expecting perfection or anything of the sort, it's just good to know what I've got. She is great either way [​IMG]

As for the GSL/ RIR/NHR what do you guys think? And how does one tell the difference between a NHR and a RIR, or do you at all?

9. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    And yes, these chicks came from Lazy 54 and Privett apparently. Certain breeds from each hatchery...

10. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Leaning towards NHR? Seems slightly lighter than a RIR...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by