Mislabeled Australorp or BJG?

Daderbee

Chirping
Apr 14, 2019
87610A04-37AF-48EA-877C-0F21C7BF4E09.jpeg
F31C550E-9532-4E6C-9123-8691C512346F.jpeg
7CB8EC72-6313-4202-8E2F-DE007576CDE8.jpeg
69DD3D74-248B-40B9-AF93-87BC370B587B.jpeg
I was wondering if Morticia is really a mislabeled black Australorp - I got her a week after St Patrick’s Day last year so she is little over a year old. She lays the same color that my other Black Jersey Giant hen Hilda lays.

Hilda and Morticia were both taken from the Black Jersey Giant cage at my local farm store but I have noticed a considerable size difference between the two and they also have slightly different combs. Hilda has more points than Morticia does and she is considerably taller and weighs a lot more than Morticia.

I have been trying to identify the breeds by the color of the feet but Morticia seems to have greyish undersides and not the pinkish color I thought Australorps had. Hilda is broody with an adopted chick of her own and she is virtually impossible to get to move so I can’t check her feet but I am pretty sure she is a BJG just from the sheer size of her. She is a Giant and towers over the rest of the flock where as Morticia is pretty much the same size as my Buckeye.

She looks like a an Australorp. I believe BJG have yellow under their feet while Australorps have a pinkish to white color. It may be hard to tell because of the mud on her feet. She does not look large enough to be a BJG.

She looks like a an Australorp. I believe BJG have yellow under their feet while Australorps have a pinkish to white color. It may be hard to tell because of the mud on her feet. She does not look large enough to be a BJG.
Yes! Her size was what was throwing me off the most because here she is with the rest of the flock minus the other black one Hilda. She is virtually the same size as the Buckeye where as Hilda is not.
5F40703D-D9E9-40A3-A3EB-41C1D14FD5CE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom