1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Misled by the Feed Store on breeds...Do you know who these babies are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickLit, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    These babies came home with me on April 2nd, from the annual Chick Day event at my local feed store. I got 5 different breeds that day. I will never trust their judgement again...

I had reserved (a month before) a Black Australorp, a Buff Orpington, an Ameracauna, a Black SexLink and a Speckled Sussex. When I walked in that day there was a sign saying they hadn't gotten any Speckled Sussex because of a poor hatch. I was ok with that. So the lady gets my reservation sheet and hands me a box so I can pick my own chicks out of the bins. Then she tells me they're sold out of the Black SexLinks. When I had reserved one. "Oh yeah, they were all gone by noon!" she says. So now I'm substituting for 2 chicks. I chose a Golden SL, and then discovered the Delaware bin (which I had no idea prior that they would have). This is who I brought home (and I love them all dearly!):

I'm ok with the IDs of my Buff Orpington & Black Australorp, but I need your help confirming these, please:

This is Maggie, who was sold to me as a Golden SexLink. She looks more like a Delaware to me...yes?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This one was billed by the feed store as a Delaware pullet. A very kind BYCer suggested Easter Egger to me last night (and also put me on the path to Maggie being a Delaware - thank you!)...and about a week ago "Lizzie" started crowing in the morning. He is now "Lester" and is up for adoption (and breaking his mama's heart [​IMG] ) . I'd like to advertise him with the proper info of course, so...EE roo? (He's got big green monster feet! LOL)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And last but not least, Maxine was in the "Ameracauna" (spelled like that) bin. What do you all think she is?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give [​IMG]

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I bought "Ameracaunas" at TSC, and they're all EE. The stores don't know the difference, they just use whatever the hatchery labeled them as. I love my EE though, they're beautiful birds.

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    1 - delaware (I'm sure), 2 and 3 - Easter eggers (I'm sure), 3 - Production Red (maybe, but not an Americauna)

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    # 1: Delaware! Yay! I love them!

#2: EE...Roo! I love them to!

#3: looks to be a RIR or Red sex link! I love them to!

So pretty much ignore the last coments cause I love any and all chickens! [​IMG]

Beautiful birds though. I would take your EE Roo if I could!

ETS: I am not close enough to take your Roo! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. acrossthebranch

acrossthebranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    South Ga
    The last one is a red sexlink or Red Star.

6. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Hi again! Yep...Maggie is a delaware...got a bunch running around my place! Lester is your EE roo...got some of those too lol! And your last, Maxine is either a prod red or a red sexlink or a golden comet....jury is out on that one..but its definitely a pullet!

7. ChickLit

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    @ lovin my birds: LOL!! I love all of them too ... and I bet Lester would be happy as a clam at your house [​IMG] My heart is gonna break in two when he leaves...

Thank you so much, all of you!! Yes, Maxine does have the RIR coloring, but none of my 6 Rhodies ever had those gorgeous white feather accents. Production Red/Red SexLink/Red Star maybe...cool! Maybe as she grows it will become more evident.

8. ChickLit

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    Hi again, trilyn!! [​IMG] You were so helpful last night; I really appreciate it. So good, Maggie is a Delaware (she is the absolute sweetest bird!), and Lester is definitely an EE. That really helps a lot.

Flippin' feed store has no clue!! Of course maybe they were just going by what their supplier told them...

9. ChickLit

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    Oh, and [​IMG] Maxine's a girl!!

10. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Quote:If you are ever near or coming to Odessa, MO bring him on over! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by