"Miss Betty Boop! NO!"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by onthespot, Jul 11, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Who would think a cute little thing like THIS li'l ol' five pound shihtzu mix puppy could try to tear a hunk out of a goose?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, bad doggie!! Is she ok or ....?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Goose is okay, it's a boy. I was inside when I heard it and ran right outside and gave Miss Betty Boop the scare of her short life, and immediately sprayed the area with vetericyn, and he seems to be okay. That li'l dog is only about five months old and she had him cornered and was just digging in with her hind feet and trying to cram as much goose in her mouth as possible. I could NOT believe my eyes! Just posting this, not because I'm proud of what happened, but so others can learn from my mistake. Small and cute and young, don't mean they aren't dangerous to poultry. Thank goodness it was a goose and not a turkey poult or a chicken!

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Poor boy! I hope he heals and I hope the puppy will turn into a protector instead of a predator. So sorry.

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:The little dogs can be really mean. I am glad to hear that your goose is okay.

6. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Yes those small dogs can be a big predator.. My chihuahua pup shreaded some of my quail that were almost completely feathered in the brooder. Seems like she ate all the ones I wanted to keep and left the ones I was going to sell. Grrr..

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Betty Boop will never again have a chance to see if she is "over" her taste for poultry. She is banished to the front and side yard, and inside the house from this day forward. Either that or I get a shock collar on her and set to "STUN" and let her go for it.

8. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup--agreed on the small dog thing! My parson's Russel Terror got after a goose when she was 11 months old--lost an eye and killed the goose too! Do you think she has learned? NOPE! Now she is muzzled whenever she is outside--it seems to be working too! Sometimes she can be going after a bird and I yell NO! and she actually stops! Dogs and birds...hmmmm. TErri O

9. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    My beagle/jackrussel mix thought it would be fun to chase my hen, well as soon as the hen made a noice of distress, my 9lb. roo was all over that pup, the pup only weighs 2lbs. by the way! The dog has never got around a chicken again.

10. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I love your approach and your attitude. Your thread title was so cute, and you are taking this well. Your actions show that you recognize that it's your responsibility to watch over your whole "herd", and you took action to prevent Ms. BB from getting another chance, but you also understood she wasn't doing anything "wrong" per se. I hope your goose recovers and all is restored to normal for you. Have a great day!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by