Miss Bossy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nikkilitman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Nikkilitman

Nikkilitman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    My chicken got attacked by a dog yesterday, it has ripped out her tail feathers and she seems not to be able to walk, I gave her watermelon to quench her thirst and mealworms and corn today and she was eating, am so worried as she is a pet not just a chicken, do not know what to do for the best, or how to tend her wounds

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Are there any open wounds? If so, wash them gently with soap & water, if they aren't too deep, apply Neosporin or similar. Feathers will regrow. Can she walk or is she just 'shocky'? Put her someplace warm & quiet, offer food/water and monitor her progress. Seems like she's eating ok from what you say, if she's more of a pet you might want to consider a veterinarian visit - if you have a good vet in the area.
    Good luck with her, I'm sure others will offer advice also, Sue [​IMG]

3. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    And you can add gatorade or somthing with electrolytes in it. It helps with shock

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Keep us updated with her progress.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would clean any open wounds with warm, soapy water, and then put some antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Make sure the ointment doesn't contain any caine/cain ingredients, as those are harmful to chickens. As for her not walking, do her legs appear injured, or are there any injuries near the leg? Its possible that she is just in shock, or she could have sustained some nerve or muscle damage to the leg. Given some rest, any leg injuries should heal as long as she doesn't exert herself and re-injure them.

As for shock, you can help with that by isolating her in a clean, warm place, with few outside distractions/noise. Encourage her to eat whatever she likes, and put some vitamins/electrolytes (I use some called sav-a-chic) in her water. In a pinch, I suppose you could give her gatorade, but that isn't meant for chickens so I wouldn't give it for very long.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do. Just watch for signs of infection (pus, bad smell, etc.); if necessary, you can treat infection with antibiotics. If she is a special pet, you could also consider taking her to an experienced veterinarian.

7. Nikkilitman

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for your help, there are no open wounds, just her tail feather missing, I am changing her box twice a day and giving her fresh water and mealworms of which she is eating, the only thing that is really worrying me is her leg. I spoke to a local chicken breeder and he said I am doing everything right, but if she is not OK by Friday I can take her to him, and he will take over and see if he can do anything more.

Nikki

8. Nikkilitman

Dec 15, 2013
    ~Thanks for your help, there are no open wounds, just her tail feather missing, I am changing her box twice a day and giving her fresh water and mealworms of which she is eating, the only thing that is really worrying me is her leg. I spoke to a local chicken breeder and he said I am doing everything right, but if she is not OK by Friday I can take her to him, and he will take over and see if he can do anything more. Nikki

9. Nikkilitman

Dec 15, 2013
    ~Thanks for your help, there are no open wounds, just her tail feather missing, I am changing her box twice a day and giving her fresh water and mealworms of which she is eating, the only thing that is really worrying me is her leg. I spoke to a local chicken breeder and he said I am doing everything right, but if she is not OK by Friday I can take her to him, and he will take over and see if he can do anything more. Nikki

10. Nikkilitman

Dec 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by