Miss broody Bella strikes again...trying to hatch power tools and screws

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
My salmon fave broke broody around thanksgiving. christmas she molted. she just started laying agin 2 weeks ago. Shes broody again. I've been trying to break her of it for 4 days now.
It wouldn't be so bad if she were nesting in the coop or even their pen, but shes sitting on a pile of screws and tools. I got attacked trying to get my electric drill from under her yesterday. Last night I locked her in their pen(its attached to the coop) but apparently the big coop door wasn't closed all the way and she got out and was back on her pile pf precious screws again.
I got frustrated with her, braved the growls and pecks, picked her up and tossed her into the yard...I wasn't watching where I threw her and she landed in the ducks wading pool(it wasn't very deep and only went to her belly). So then I seriously had a mad...wet hen. like mad mad. I took the opportunity to cover her "nest" with boxes. She's now a pancake right next to the boxes. I'm going to try locking her in the coop tonight. I want her to nest in there and get comfortable so I can slip a chick or two under her.
will see how that goes

lau.gif
HOW DARE YOU??? She was trying to HELP you by hatching out more screws and doodads!

My salmon fave broke broody around thanksgiving. christmas she molted. she just started laying agin 2 weeks ago. Shes broody again. I've been trying to break her of it for 4 days now.
It wouldn't be so bad if she were nesting in the coop or even their pen, but shes sitting on a pile of screws and tools. I got attacked trying to get my electric drill from under her yesterday. Last night I locked her in their pen(its attached to the coop) but apparently the big coop door wasn't closed all the way and she got out and was back on her pile pf precious screws again.
I got frustrated with her, braved the growls and pecks, picked her up and tossed her into the yard...I wasn't watching where I threw her and she landed in the ducks wading pool(it wasn't very deep and only went to her belly). So then I seriously had a mad...wet hen. like mad mad. I took the opportunity to cover her "nest" with boxes. She's now a pancake right next to the boxes. I'm going to try locking her in the coop tonight. I want her to nest in there and get comfortable so I can slip a chick or two under her.
will see how that goes

yuckyuck.gif

think I would rather have power tools than more chicks...
Of course since I think I have the world ugliest chicks that might be understandable

Either take her to your local Lowe's tool area or.....

[CHICKEN MIND]

Put eggs under her. Baby fuzzies!!!!

Reference hardware: She's thinking far in advance. She's dreaming of MORE chicken coops and MORE chicken friends.

Yep, sure would be nice to hatch out a new 18v drill or a new 18v skilsaw or a nice little staple gun for _hardware cloth and zipties_ with no receipt and no credit card!!! Sounds like the hen wants to BUILD!!!

You see, the Skilsaw cuts the lumber. The drill makes holes to screw the lumber together using holes and bits. She wants a new and BIGGER home with MORE CHICKENZ!!!!!! Then the hardware cloth and zipties reinforce the henhouse against the Big Bad Raccoon.

Her plans are: tools to MAKE New Second Henhouse.... I know what I'm doing..... Proliferating ChickenZ!!!!!! . :) :) :) :) :)

Realistically, she wants eggs BAD. Slip a few under her around 7 or 8 pm. Sqwaaak!!! It's Easter season!! Yes baby fuzzies!

I hope you're not in a city or suburb that only allows 4 hens. I think the hardware-brooding indicates that she has MUCH bigger plans!!! :) :) :)

Last edited:
unfortunately I live in a city that only allows "four small animals", When you look at the definition of small animal it says cats, dogs, poultry(with a list of exclusions such as turkeys and peafowl).
Sadly, I was over my limit even before the chickens(2 dogs 3 cats)

I have the perfect fuzzy in mind to slip under her one night...I just don't want to do it out in the yard because I don't think the ducks would be receptive.

Meet squiddly, the ugliest chick i've ever seen(its a bantam of sorts)

Good Luck underground with your broody. Keep telling yourself,must have house with more room and less rules. More room for your chicken and duck addiction I think your hen is sending you a message. (We need more, bigger coop, no restrictions.)
I think she is planting an ideal......

Maye

Back
Top Bottom