Miss Chicken Puff Pie eats, poops fine, but way too low energy, etc. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksWereDinos, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ChicksWereDinos

ChicksWereDinos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Hello from Herriman, Utah! Thank you for reading. I humbly need your experience & knowledge.

We got our first silkie a month ago from another local who said she was being picked on by other hens and didn't seem to be getting enough food... Quickly I noticed she was "different" in a worrisome way...

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Bearded blue splash silkie, approx 1.5 yrs, weight? (new to bantams, definitely lighter than non-bantams)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Overall, she simply seems weak. specifically:
    1. Her bum stays very messy. Previous owner cut a lot of fluff/feathers away so it's pretty clear around the vent, even so the feathers all around (below) it are always really dirty. She frequently nibbles to clean, but it doesn't seem to help.
    2. She smells. Sweetish + icky socks that came off after being on sweaty feet too long. Seems stronger around her vent; I think self-cleaning spreads it across her "fur" & I've noticed her whiteness getting brownish/yellowish over the weeks since she came to use having been freshly bathed.
    3. Doesn't lay eggs. No chicken squat.
    4. Low energy; she doesn't move quick. She gets around, but her walk is a bit of a waddle. If I pull her by her tail feathers she finally exerts herself, flaps wings, squawks. Otherwise all the previous, and beyond docile. Not until about a week ago did I even see her scratch dirt with her feet, she never did. Now she does only once in a while, and it's brief & feeble.
    5. No dirt baths ever.
    6. She often "misses the target" when pecking for food, and sometimes doesn't even notice food in front of her. I put big wriggling worms in front of her a couple weeks ago and she usually didn't even notice them. Every once in a while (tons of repetition) she would notice one and try and peck it - & almost always miss :( . Even with hair back in a "pony tail." Today I gave her peanut butter, she didn't know it was food. I pecked at it with my finger and actually got her attention, she took a peck but didn't do more. She pecks weed leafs and often gets her target, but sometimes misses. This behavior may be improving.
    7. Think she had a bit of a sneeze/cough or something when I first got her but I haven't noticed anything for a while. (she was also extremely catatonic (unmoving) at first too.)

* She IS eating her grain mix, drinking, moving around her yard, she'll squawk her funny squawk a little here and there. If you had never had chickens you'd probably think she was normal. But she is just not lively.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Since I got her and before, so ??? exactly

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, n/a

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I've only been told she was "picked on" in her previous flock, although I see no de-feathering. I am pretty sure she was in a muddy small run before. I was told she was under-eating.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She eats a great all natural 4-grain from a local breeder. She "ranges" in a large yards which bunches of weeds, grass etc. Always has water and most the time it has a small amount of Vi-tal.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    At first I didn't see much, and I think I saw runny poop. Now every time I see it it looks great - solid, dark (pic below.) She seems to poop a lot.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Isolation- she is not around other hens - just a couple 2 month old silkie chicks that love snuggling under her at nighttime :)
    Great feed, water + some Vi-tal as mentioned, sunshine, big yard. A pretty ideal set-up I think.

10) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
    More of the same above thinking she'd shake out of it, antibiotic if needed. I'd take her to a vet if really needed, but it doesn't seem major enough right now.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Pics of her and dirty bum below. I've inspected her a few times - many times around the vent - I see no mites or lice etc. - she looks clean.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Until I clean out an old coop, she is using the ground and long grass. Double fenced area in an urban setting.

Thank you!! :) (& I can post a HD vid too if it helps...)

[​IMG]
    1. Part of the chicken yard

[​IMG]
    2. Miss Chicken Puff Pie. Notice the yellowish fur, wasn't like that a few weeks ago but I think has resulted from unsuccessfully trying to clean her bum.

[​IMG]
    3. Nighttime with her 2 adopted chicks snuggling under her. Everything I've heard about silkie mommies is so true! :)

[​IMG]
    4. Her fresh poop in the middle

[​IMG]
    5. Her bum. Notice how clearly significant the dirty area is. It's what concerns me most.

[​IMG]
    6. Her bum Part II

[​IMG]
    7. Her bum, close up. The vent itself stays clean enough.

2. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    To at least boost her energy put some sugar in every quart of water a tabblespoon per quart maybe I may be wrong but to help that bum problem putthe same measurements of apple cider vinegar each recipe each week

3. ChicksWereDinos

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Thank you, does anybody else have any thoughts about what could be going on with this combination of things? It's a real mystery to me.

Yes, you're right I've been thinking I need to try ACV.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Have you wormed her?

5. ChicksWereDinos

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Thank you for replying. I don't think it's worms because the symptoms I've seen listed the most don't seem to really nail it:

• watery runny droppings (No)
    • loss of appetite (No? I only know her for a month but she seems to eat consistently, and better than when I first got her)
    • ceasing of egg laying (Yes)
    • dehydration (No)
    • going off alone (No - but, we she is not with a flock, just 2 chicks that she doesn't avoid)
    • loss of balance (due to weakness from a heavy infestation) (possibly - she has a bit of a wobble to her walking)
    • dull comb,wattles and eyes (No)

I'm no expert, I just spend gobs of hour on BYC and elsewhere and learn from what others say and by comparing to what I've seen said about worms, like above, my first guess is no. The biggest of these symptoms from what I've seen others say seems to be watery poo (not a problem) and little appetite (doesn't seem to be a problem, she just seems mentally challenged when it comes to eating). I'm at a loss here :(

6. ChicksWereDinos

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Here's a video of her. She's unusually stationary at the start but at 1:00 she is moving at normal speed.

See, it's not anything extreme but she's just lethargic and the rest of the symptoms I described (no egg laying at all, no dirt bathing, dirty bum and smelly and so on...)

:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  7. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    Food grade diatamaceous earth sprinkled into feed seems to help solidify poo and some think it helps with internal parasites. I would trim her backside. Most of my silkies are fine but once in a while I have one that just doesn't stay clean on their own. Make sure you clean her backside and look for little white, brown or black dots, lice or mites. Also look under her wings and in her crest. If she is missing her food it could be poor vision from a vitamin deficiency or she just can't see past her fluff. You may have to trim her face also. It sounds like the smell of her might indicate her crop is yeasty. Yogurt and acv in water is good for that.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Adding DE to her feed will do nothing. I recommend trimming her fluff/feathers around her vent area and below it with scissors, giving her a clear "shot" to the ground. Worm her orally with 1/4cc valbazen cattle/sheep wormer or 1/4cc safeguard liquid goat wormer, then repeat the same dose in 10 days.
    Birds pick on another bird for a reason. Usually to eliminate the bird and leave it behind due to sickness or injury as not to attract predators to the flock.
    After worming, give her one drop of poultry nutri drench twice a day for 5 days, no more than that... it can cause diarrhea.

9. ChicksWereDinos

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Thank you so much for the help! rockingbearanch thanks for the specifics, I will do those things. Thanks dawg and I will try worming her as you said. I appreciate the biology explanation which makes sense.

I see videos of people's bearded blue splash silkies that are fluffy and don't seem to have a problem seeing (I appreciate the mention of a vitamin deficiency) or with messy bums. That is interesting that some hens simply have problems while others do not. After bathing her I will trim her better.

Sounding like it's a worm issue from what I'm hearing.

10. ChicksWereDinos

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Just finishing old conversations so others in the future may be able to learn something. This sweet girl died not too longer after. It took a little while to die. I never did figure out what the problem was. Just came out one morning and she'd died in the night. She was a real sweetheart and gave warmth to two silky chicks I added by letting them snuggle under her (whoa re now paying it forward by keeping a new generation of chicks warm at night as described here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/647114/do-chicks-need-the-heat-lamp-constantly/10#post_11065576 - I like to think Puff Pie helped our silky would-be adoptive momma to learn the behavior a little)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by