Miss Chickenkiller got a Guinea, help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Aug 12, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My little dog put a 1/2in hole under my Guinea's left wing, right below where the shoulder connects to the body. I put iodine over it and placed the bird in a crate in the coop w/water and a bit of food. It was panting and lays on it's side. Anything else I can do for it? Are Guineas tough birds?
    I will post tomorrow morning if it makes it through the night. Thanks!

2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Guineas can be very tough birds. My golden retrievers attacked two of my guineas last spring: I was home and rescued the one that lived and the other I found dead (we had a third dog that killed that one and it was rehomed...far too aggressive). The one that lived was torn up pretty bad: Multiple lacerations, one of which was very deep and they also hurt his ankle. After about three weeks in one of my hospital cages he was allowed to return to his flock. After a couple months, he only had a slight limp to show for it. Well, that and a newfound aggressive attitude toward the dogs that he passed on to all my guineas. One landed in with the dogs two days ago and they were too afraid to go near it.

Anyway, right now your guinea is probably in shock and will be that way for a bit. If it makes it through the night you have a very good chance of full recovery. Mine looked and acted like it was going to die for several hours.

The thing about dog bites are the bacteria in their saliva. I posted a link on another thread about a dog bite from LSU vet school that stated their are over 130 unique bacteria that live in a dogs mouth. When bit by a dog (or cat) and the wound breaks the skin, cleaning it thoroughly is very important. The area should be rinsed with water then washed carefully with soap and water and dabbed dry. Then apply iodine followed by some antibiotic cream such as Neosporin. After a couple days, I would spray the area with Blue Kote if you have any.

Putting her in a holding crate is an excellent move. This will limit her movements and keep her where you can easily check on her. You may also want to add electrolytes to her water if you can. You can either use generic or real pedialyte, or I keep several packs of Sav-A-Chick on hand: It is cheap and each pack makes a gallon. Keep an eye on her for signs of infection or maggots on the wound. You may need to give her some oral antibiotics if she doesn't perk up and eat. Since the wound requires moving the wing, I know checking it will be as easy as pulling a coyotes teeth with pliers... being that guineas are such affectionate creatures that just love being held: Sarcasm mode off now. [​IMG]

Anyway, if it makes you feel better you can give her some goodies too....like peas, or romaine lettuce, or scrambled eggs. My guineas would never eat any of it other than watermelon...they like that.

Good luck and I hope your guinea makes it.

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It passed, prolly went a few hours after. It was the first time they jumped the fence, why do they always go towards danger...?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sorry for your loss, [​IMG]

5. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:For the same reason they run up and down a fence line for an hour expecting to find a way through that wasn't there before....because its there and they are guineas. I've never found them to be extremely rational creatures...funny, but not the sharpest tool in the shed by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sorry it didn't make it [​IMG] Hopefully, Ms. Chickenkiller won't get to anybody else. It can be hard to keep those kamikaze birds out of harms way. [​IMG]

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    There were two other guineas on the wrong side, but they flew straight up and over when I went to shoo them back. Ms Killer is crazy fast, she can catch robins out of the air.
    Mine never race along the fence line, though they will test fly in circles making a ton of noise...real odd birds.
    I put up 3ft tall fencing on top of the already 5ft fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by