Miss Chook's Newest Habit--

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
* Well, now my goofy girl is chewing on her right wattle. She's got the lower edge sore. Think bitter apple or bite-no-more will break the habit?? I'm sure she's doing this because we are all so stressed and our routines are out the window with the pending house sale and move-- chicken anxiety??

*That's kinda funny, actually-- She acts ANNOYED with her wattles when they trail into her water esp. or food and swings them & grabs the right one, catches it, chews it a sec. . . . And repeat!! I thought it was itchy, at first--mites or something, but, there's no sign of that. Pretty sure it's just a habit she picked up. Put some pet lotion on and that slowed her down a little, but didm't stop it entirely. . . Seems alot like a chicken variety of chewing your nails, or the ends of your hair-- she does it because she CAN!!!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Ha ha ha ha! I have no advice for you, but I think that's kind of funny that a chicken would bite her wattles like a human might bite her fingernails. I'll be following this thread because it amuses me. What an usual situation (on top of everything else you're dealing with!)

How long are this hen's wattles? I'm surprised they can reach her beak. Pics?

* They are about an inch apiece, though I haven't measured,
smile.png
. She's also got a HUGE floppy comb!!! A teeny-bopper girl, DD of my BFF suggested Chook have a comb-ectomy procedure just a couple weeks ago!!! Lol! She says "Cute chicken, Auntie, but, that comb flopping like that is ugly. I'D cut it off!!!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom