1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miss feathers, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spangles403, Feb 17, 2015.

1. spangles403

spangles403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Just noticed this this morning, 3 of my 4 hens have it. It's been super cold in Pa, not sure how that could impact this?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It looks as if hen # 4 is feather plucking/eating. Do a on site search on Pinless Peepers.

3. spangles403

Apr 17, 2014
    Is there a cause that could be addressed? Would the peeper things need to be on her forever?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Feather picking is frequently a result of boredom and surfaces when chickens are confined to a smaller area because of weather conditions. It tends to become a bad habit. Hanging a cabbage or Flock Block so they have something to peck at may help, adding protein to the diet may help. Frequently once the feathers have regrown and close confinement is no longer necessary, the peepers can be removed and the bird will behave itself.

1 person likes this.
  5. spangles403

Apr 17, 2014
    Thanks! I'm working on a larger coop. They don't have a big roosting area and as I've never seen them plucking I suspect it's happening during the night. Peepers may be what I need temporarily until I can get the rest sorted. Very helpful response!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by