Miss Maggie the bantam gets backup from her big sisters

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 17, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since both of my coops are close together now it's become my habit to call both flocks together in the evening to share some scratch grains. I love to watch the interactions between the flocks.

I have a little cockerel named Dyson running around. The little twerp is suffering from a bad case of testosterone poisoning right now and he basically goes after anything with feathers that moves. [​IMG] The only consolation thus far has been that at least Dyson is sticking with his own flock and not bothering my brahma girls.

I'm not sure what started it, but while the chooks were all together yesterday I turned around to see Dyson and my one and only bantam brahma hen Miss Maggie going beak to beak, toe to toe. About the same size so evenly matched, both Maggie and Dyson had their hackle feathers flared and were throwing some kung fu kicks. Maggie was holding her own and since I think it's important for the older hens to teach the young roos some manners, I left them alone for a few minutes. I was just about to walk over and break it up when...

Here comes two of my LF brahma girls, Jezebel and Snowy. I'm not sure how much Snowy weighs, but Jezzie is slightly over 8 lbs.; easily twice as big as little Dyson. Snowy shoved Maggie out of the way, then both Snowy and Jezzie crouched down, flared their hackles and took Dyson on. The poor little guy got his tailfeathers handed to him before he took off.

Yep, the big hens are teaching the young whippersnappers some manners alright. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    And that's the way the chicken world turns! [​IMG]

I had a big RIR hen who felt it was her personal job in life to teach the cockerals some manners. She took on two at a time and they both slunk away after the brawl!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The mental image reminds me of the first time that I met my first girlfriend's two older sisters. [​IMG] For some reason they distrusted my intentions. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Somebody has to teach the dude some manners!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Go hen! Go hen! [​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] You go girls [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I think it's a riot. Just when I'm about ready to wring some little dude's neck for being such a butthead, the hens step in and take care of the problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by