1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miss Mean Chick goes back to her buddies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by damselfish, Mar 21, 2009.

1. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I've posted a couple of times about our mean chick and the various ways we've been trying to reform her.

After trying all other alternatives, we ended up keeping her indoors alone in the brooder for an extra six days after the others went out to the brooder room in the coop.

Finally, yesterday, I took her out to the coop and let her in with them. She had clearly lost all her status, and though she pecked at a feather or two, she was suddenly the one getting flack from the other chicks.

Our little Roo-in-Charge and the higher ranking pullet chicks got in several good pecks on her head (no blood drawn, seemed to be purely disciplinary, know-your-place kind of pecks). As of now, she is behaving.

Hurray!!

Anybody reading about her for the first time, she was not doing typical baby-chicken exploring pecking. Hers started at about 2 weeks of age and was serious, feather-pulling, blood-drawing stuff.

Thought this might help someone. I'll post again if she reverts.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Congrats!! It sounds like you solved your problem!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by