Miss MoneyPenny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpottedCrow, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She's been sitting on her bums bones since last Wed.
    It started that she was having trouble getting into her chair to sleep on Tues. By Wed she couldn't walk and sat with her feet out front of her. I took her to the vet on Wed night and they made a tentative diagnosis of Marek's Disease.
    She's a little over 2 years old and a Silkie/Cochin mix. I had broken her of being broody almost a week earlier...
    Here's some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one shows a lump under her wing where her hip/knee is...
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sorry Spotted.... [​IMG] Is there any hope?

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Is it possible she somehow dislocated her hip or has a egg pressing on a tendon or nerve?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Poor Penny! I hope it isn't Mareks, S.C.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Wait a second, there's a lot of that (butt sitting) going around lately; there's been several recent posts about it. That's what Moppit's doing, and what she has been doing for months. How did they make the tentative diagnosis of Marek's? That's not a classic Marek's stance.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awwww... crud.....I was so hoping she was doing better. Poor Penny. She's got you - that's the really good news.

I wonder if the Avian Departments of Vet Schools like Penn (I got some bad advice re: Betty from those folks but I'm sure not all the advice is bad advice) or Peter Brown might offer some helpful advice based upon your descrip and photos.....

Does she seem in pain? Does she sleep okay? How's her appetite doing? How long was she acting broody before you broke her of it? How do her feet feel - do they have warmth to them?
    JJ

7. SpottedCrow

I fell like that lump shouldn't be there, Terrie, but I can't figure out how to pop it back in if it is...The vet will put her under and do an Xray, then let her wake up and put her under again and fix it...Goddess knows for how much $$$.

I haven't felt an egg in her belly or around her vent.

Supposedly the Avian/Exotic vet diagnosed her over the phone with her symptoms of not walking and sitting on her hocks...He said that Silkies are more prone to it...I don't know why though...I don't know if she was ever vaccinated or if Obelisk was.

She hasn't complained much, but if I'm messing with her leg she draws it up... She was broody for about 2 weeks before I finally managed to break her...Her feet were cold yesterday, but when I was holding them they warmed up nicely...Her appetite is good. She ate almost all the "glop" I gave her (handfeeding formula, PolyViSol, and apple sauce) today after she didn't want any yesterday. She's been plooping fine and did a Splort on the rug this afternoon. Sleeping is okay...Drinking too...And she's talking a bit more...that was another thing I noticed, she was too quiet...

I had her on my chest this afternoon because I was having a migraine and Obelisk came in and we all had a nap. She's still the same happy-go-lucky bird she always was, just not able to walk too much.

If she doesn't get better within the next week or so I'll definitely shoot an email off to Peter Brown...

8. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    No doubt she's greatly comforted by your TLC while this dilemma is being sorted out. [​IMG]
    Glad Penny's appetite was better today. And that she's drinking and can sleep okay... these things buy a little time to play detective...
    I can't help but wonder if there isn't something about the whole recent broody thing that provides a clue to her problem.....if she was sitting a lot and not moving.....But then again, there's that lump you found....
    So sorry about the migraine - they are wicked things. Hope it's better now.
    JJ

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  9. SpottedCrow

I opened the back door to two live birds. Penny got off the chair by herself.[​IMG]
    She had some more glop and some pellets...
    She's also trying to walk more...
    I have some left over steroid pillets from my recent bout with bronchitis...I wonder if I gave her one of those if it might help with inflamation...
    I've been holding her and am now thinking about a chicken as a necklace...[​IMG]

She's still pooping and flapping her wings and her feet still have grabbing ability.

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This is encouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by